By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

St Martin of Tours' church Lychgate - Detling, Kent
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 51° 17.639 E 000° 34.115
31U E 330480 N 5685324
Quick Description: Lychgate to the cemetery opposite St Martin of Tours' church, Detling.
Location: South East England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/4/2019 12:06:57 PM
Waymark Code: WM11866
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 2

Long Description:
Lychgate to the cemetery opposite St Martin of Tours' church, Detling. Made of wood, four corner posts, with tiled roof. Unknown date of construction.

"St Martin of Tours is a parish church in Detling, Kent. Dedicated to Martin of Tours, the building was constructed in the 12th century with 13th and 15th-century additions and restoration carried out in the late 19th century. It is a Grade I listed building.

The nave and chancel are of early Norman construction and built of flint with a plain tiled roof. The aisle to the north of the nave is Early English and is constructed of flint and local rag-stone. It was enlarged in the 1880s. The adjacent chapel on the north side of the chancel and the porch on the south side of the nave are Perpendicular Gothic. The tower is built in two stages of galletted rag-stone with diagonal corner buttresses. The timber-shingled broach spire was added in 1861 by R. C. Hussey. The roof structure to the chapel is original, but the rest of the roof was replaced in the 19th century.

The church windows are of varying sizes and periods although mostly perpendicular in style. Over the doorway on the west side of the tower is a large rectangular three-lighted perpendicular window added in the 19th century. The windows to the nave, aisle and chapel are mainly two-lighted in design. Those to the south-east and east of the chancel and three-lighted. Internally, the nave and aisle are separated by a pair of wide plain arches and the chancel and chapel by a single arch.

The large twelve-sided font is early and plain and stands on a 20th-century base, having once been built into the wall of the tower. An ornately carved four-sided oak lectern dates from 1340–50. It probably came from Boxley Abbey and has been described as "the finest medieval fitting in any parish church in the county". The church's pipe organ dates from the 1850s and was brought from the Congregational Church in Maidstone in 1973."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Year: Not known

Address:
St Martin of Tours The Street Detling, Kent England ME143JT


Link to Church or Cemetery: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Include at least one photo of the lychgate or Depositoire taken by yourself. A short description of, or comment on, your visit is required, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Lychgates and Depositories
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.