By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

St Mary the Virgin Church Lychgate - Cuddington, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 22.608 W 000° 15.316
30U E 691016 N 5695303
Quick Description: This lychgate appears to be quite new and may possibly have been built in 1995 when other extensions were made to the church. It is located at the eastern entrance to the churchyard and has a brick base with wooden superstructure.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 8/19/2019 10:52:36 AM
Waymark Code: WM115JC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 0

Long Description:

The lychgate has the usual steep pitched roof that is tiled with a red tile. The wooden superstructure has curved supporting beams along its length with substantial posts in the corners and cross-beams in the roof.

At the outer end of the lychgate, at the top of the pitch, is one word:

Resurgam

This means "to rise again".

The church is a Grade II listed building with the entry at the Historic England website advising:

"Built 1894-5 by A. Thomas of Whitfield and Thomas. W end extension of c.1959 in the same style by David Nye. NW block of 1995.

MATERIALS: Knapped flint with red brick and stone dressings. Red clay tiled roofs. Timber flèche with lead covering.

PLAN: Nave and polygonal apsidal chancel under a continuous roof: the junction is marked by a flèche straddling the gable. N and S aisles, slightly shorter than the nave. Chancel S chapel. Organ chamber at NE with transverse gabled roof and a lower hipped roof vestry attached to its N. Parish rooms and offices attached at the NW corner.

EXTERIOR: The style of the church is Early English, characterised by lancet and Y-tracery windows. All the components of the building have plain parapets except for the nave and chancel which have plain eaves. The six-bay nave is flanked by lean-to aisles and has a clerestory with two lancets per bay, each bay being demarcated by a flat brick pilaster. The five-bay aisles have Y-tracery windows with short, stepped buttresses. The chancel is dominated by a polygonal apse with tall, stepped brick and stone buttresses, chequered flushwork decoration below the eaves and single-light lancet windows with brick surrounds. The E face of the apse contains a foundation stone dated 1894. The S chapel is under its own gable and has single-light lancets on the S side and a triple-light window on its E face. At the junction of the aisle and chapel is an octagonal clock tower with a timber-framed belfry, shingled roof and a clock of 1933. On the same axis is a small dormer to the nave roof and the slender octagonal flèche with lucarne windows. The W end has a triple-light window with intersecting tracery and an inserted square-headed doorway flanked by lancet windows. The N elevation is less prominent than the S and has a variety of protruding blocks including that of 1995 to the NW."

Year: c1995

Address:
St Mary the Virgin Church The Avenue Cuddington Surrey United Kingdom


Link to Church or Cemetery: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Include at least one photo of the lychgate or Depositoire taken by yourself. A short description of, or comment on, your visit is required, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Lychgates and Depositories
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.