By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Camp Luther
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member dukemartin
N 38° 49.075 W 079° 23.316
17S E 639894 N 4297804
Quick Description: A short history of a nearby church building used during the Civil War.
Location: West Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 8/13/2019 11:11:26 AM
Waymark Code: WM1146V
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
Views: 0

Long Description:
Camp Luther

Prior to the Civil War, a Lutheran log church built on the North Fork housed a growing congregation. The building, renamed Camp Luther, was used by soldiers from both side during the war. On March 1, 1862, A Union force under Col. George Latham captured Confederate militia under Capt. Joseph Lantz. It was burned before end of war, possibly by local women to prevent misuse.
Marker Number: None on sign

Marker Title: Camp Luther

Marker Location: East side of RT 33, south of Seneca Rocks, WV

County or Independent City: Seneca Rocks, WV

Web Site: [Web Link]

Marker Program Sponsor: West Virginia Archives and History, 2017

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest West Virginia Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.