By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Kloster Marienthal - Marienthal - RLP - Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member CADS11
N 50° 32.240 E 007° 03.480
32U E 362385 N 5600176
Quick Description: Das Kloster Marienthal ist ein ehemaliges Augustinerinnenkloster in Marienthal
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
Date Posted: 8/7/2019 9:50:10 AM
Waymark Code: WM1132E
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 6

Long Description:
DE:
Das Kloster Marienthal ist ein ehemaliges Augustinerinnenkloster in Marienthal, einem Ortsteil von Dernau in Rheinland-Pfalz. Es wurde 1137 gegründet und ist das älteste Kloster des Ahrtals. Nach Zerstörungen im Dreißigjährigen Krieg wurde es wieder aufgebaut. Als Folge der Säkularisation Anfang des 19. Jahrhunderts unter Napoleon wurden die Klostergebäude 1811 auf Abbruch verkauft und zum Teil abgetragen. Erhalten haben sich die Ruine der gotischen Klosterkirche, einzelne Gebäudeteile und das Äbtissinnenhaus.

Baubeschreibung
Vom Kloster hat sich im Wesentlichen die barocke Klosterkirche als Ruine erhalten. Sie ist ein Langhaus mit hohen Lanzettfenstern und Rundapsis. Die Außenwände sind in weiten Teilen mit Efeu und Parthenocissus überwuchert. Der Gebäuderest wird heute als Veranstaltungsort genutzt. Vom Kloster haben sich außerdem Teile des Kreuzganges sowie der Ost- und Nordflügel und Außenmauerreste eines weiteren Gebäudeflügels erhalten. Des Weiteren besteht das Äbtissinnenhaus als ein 1762 im Rokokostil errichteter Gartenpavillon.

An die historischen Baureste wurden 1925 Gebäude der Weinbaudomäne Marienthal im Stil klösterlicher Klausurgebäude angesetzt. Dadurch entstand ein Innenhof, der der heute gastronomisch genutzt wird. Von den historischen Gebäuden aus dem 12. Jahrhundert sind Tonnengewölbe erhalten und beherbergen heute einen Weinkeller. Unterhalb des Kreuzganges wurde 2012 ein Grabgewölbe entdeckt.


Geschichte
Kloster Marienthal mit Gebäuden der früheren Weinbaudomäne
Außenmauern eines früheren Gebäudeflügels mit offenen Fensteröffnungen
Als Gründer des Klosters gilt der im benachbarten Mayschoß auf der Saffenburg residierende Adolf I. von Saffenberg. Er war wie sein Vater Vogt der Abtei Klosterrath in den heutigen Niederlanden. Im Jahr 1136 ermächtigte er die dortigen Augustinermönche im Hubachtal an der Ahr ein Kloster zu errichten. Der Bach Hubach bildete die Ostgrenze der Herrschaft Saffenburg zu Ahrweiler. Das Tal war zu dieser Zeit noch bewaldet und unbewohnt. Nach Rodungsarbeiten wurde dort das Kloster erbaut. Im Jahr 1137 kamen 37 Augustinerinnen aus dem Klosterrather Mutterhaus und bezogen das als „Mariae vallis“ bezeichnete Kloster. 1138 feierte man die erste Messe und 1141 wurde die Klosterkirche vom Kölner Erzbischof Arnold I. geweiht. Nach spärlichen Hinweisen in den Klosterrather Annalen ist bekannt, dass es sieben Werkstätten, eine Brennerei, eine Bäckerei und ein Gästehaus gab.

1259 befreite der Kölner Erzbischof Konrad von Hochstaden das Kloster von Beiträgen zur Stadtbefestigung Ahrweiler. 1336 beschränkte der Kölner Erzbischof die Zahl der Nonnen auf 40. Kloster Marienthal war ein edles Kloster, denn die Augustinerinnen entstammten dem niederen Dienstadel der Grafen von Are, Are-Hochstaden und Saffenburg. Es wurde von einer Äbtissin geleitet, die als Fraw Meistersche oder lateinisch magistra für Meisterin bezeichnet wurde. Die Namen der Äbtissinnen sind seit 1613 überliefert.[3] Durch Einzug von Schwestern aus dem Bonner Kloster Engeltal wurde das Marienthaler Kloster 1486 reformiert.

Während des Dreißigjährigen Krieges plünderten und beschädigten 1632 schwedische Truppen das Kloster, wobei das Klosterarchiv verloren ging. 1646 gegen Ende des Krieges geschah dies durch französische Truppen unter Marschall Henri de Turenne. Mit dem Wiederaufbau der Klosteranlage wurde 1699 begonnen. Nach der Besetzung des linken Rheinufers 1794 durch französische Revolutionstruppen flohen die Nonnen auf das rechte Rheinufer nach Arienheller. Im Jahre 1802 wurde das Kloster durch den französischen Staat säkularisiert und ab 1803 versteigert. Die Einrichtung der Klosterkirche kam in andere Klöster und Kirchen der Region. Zu diesem Zeitpunkt gehörten dem Kloster in Marienthal neben dem Gebäudebestand eine Mühle, zwei Gärten, drei Weingärten, einige Wiesen und 15 Morgen Land. In Ahrweiler bestand Besitz an einem halben Morgen Weinberg, in Dernau und Mayschoß waren es Äcker, Wiesen, ein Baumgarten und Anteile an der Weinernte. Darüber hinaus verpachtete das Kloster gegen Naturalien zahlreiche Ländereien und Höfe in der Umgegend. Die Klostergebäude wurden 1811 auf Abbruch veräußert und das Steinmaterial von der Bevölkerung für eigene Bauten weiterverwendet.

Während des 19. Jahrhunderts wechselten die Eigentümer der Klosterruine mehrfach. 1910 ließ ein Besitzer im Terrassengarten ein Herrenhaus errichten, das später als Verwaltungsgebäude der Ahrtalbahn diente. Ab 1925 war das ehemalige Kloster Preußische Staatliche Weinbaudomäne im Weinbaugebiet Ahr, dessen Verwaltung in neu errichtete Gebäude einzog. Ab 1952 war es Domäne des Landes Rheinland Pfalz und der Staatlichen Lehr- und Versuchsanstalt in Ahrweiler angeschlossen. 2004 verkaufte das Land das Anwesen und die Weinberge an vier Winzerunternehmen aus der Region[6], die an dem Standort gemeinsam das Weingut Kloster Marienthal mit 4,5 Hektar Rebflächen betreiben.
Aus: (visit link)


EN:
The monastery Marienthal is a former Augustinian monastery in Marienthal, a district of Dernau in Rhineland-Palatinate. It was founded in 1137 and is the oldest monastery in the Ahr valley. After destruction in the Thirty Years War, it was rebuilt. As a result of secularization in the early 19th century under Napoleon, the monastery buildings were sold in 1811 to demolition and partly demolished. The ruins of the Gothic monastery church, individual parts of the building and the abbot's house have been preserved.

specifications
From the monastery, the baroque monastery church has been preserved as a ruin. It is a long house with high lancet windows and round apse. The outer walls are largely overgrown with ivy and Parthenocissus. The building test is now used as a venue. From the monastery, parts of the cloister and the east and north wings and outer wall remains of another building wing have also been preserved. Furthermore, there is the Abbess House as a 1762 Rococo garden pavilion.

1925 buildings of the wine-growing district Marienthal in the style of monastic cloister building were attached to the historical building remains. This created a courtyard, which is now used gastronomically. The barrel vaults of the 12th century historic buildings are preserved and now house a wine cellar. Below the cloister in 2012, a grave vault was discovered.


history
Monastery Marienthal with buildings of the former winegrowing domain
Exterior walls of an earlier building wing with open window openings
The founder of the monastery is Adolf I von Saffenberg, who resides in neighboring Mayschoss on the Saffenburg. He was like his father Vogt Abbey Klosterrath in the Netherlands today. In 1136 he authorized the local Augustinian monks in the Hubachtal on the Ahr to build a monastery. The Bach Hubach formed the eastern border of the rule Saffenburg to Ahrweiler. The valley was still wooded and uninhabited at that time. After clearing work, the monastery was built there. In 1137, 37 Augustine nuns came from the Klosterrather Mutterhaus and moved into the monastery called "Mariae vallis". The first mass was celebrated in 1138 and in 1141 the monastery church was consecrated by Archbishop Arnold I of Cologne. After scant clues in the Klosterrather Annalen is known that there were seven workshops, a distillery, a bakery and a guest house.

In 1259, the archbishop of Cologne, Konrad von Hochstaden, freed the monastery of contributions to the town fortification of Ahrweiler. In 1336, the archbishop of Cologne limited the number of nuns to 40. Monastery Marienthal was a noble monastery, for the Augustinians were descended from the lower official nobility of the counts of Are, Are-Hochstaden and Saffenburg. It was headed by an abbess known as Fraw Meistersche or Latin magistra for Meisterin. The names of the abbesses have been handed down since 1613. [3] The Marienthaler Monastery was reformed in 1486 by the entry of nuns from Bonn's monastery Engeltal.

During the Thirty Years' War, Swedish troops plundered and damaged the monastery in 1632, destroying the monastery's archives. In 1646, at the end of the war, this was done by French troops under Marshal Henri de Turenne. The reconstruction of the monastery was begun in 1699. After the occupation of the left bank of the Rhine in 1794 by French revolutionary troops, the nuns fled to the right bank of the Rhine to Arienheller. In 1802, the monastery was secularized by the French state and auctioned off in 1803. The institution of the monastery church came to other monasteries and churches in the region. At this time belonged to the monastery in Marienthal in addition to the building stock a mill, two gardens, three vineyards, some meadows and 15 acres of land. In Ahrweiler owned a half acre of vineyard, in Dernau and Mayschoss there were fields, meadows, a tree garden and shares in the grape harvest. In addition, the monastery leased many lands and farms in the area against Naturalien. The monastery buildings were sold in 1811 to demolition and the stone material used by the population for their own buildings.

During the 19th century, the owners of the monastery ruins changed several times. In 1910, an owner had a mansion built in the terraced garden, which later served as the administrative building of the Ahrtalbahn. From 1925, the former monastery was the Prussian State Winegrowing Domain in the wine-growing region Ahr, whose administration moved into newly built buildings. From 1952 it was the domain of the Land Rhineland Palatinate and the State Teaching and Research Institute in Ahrweiler connected. In 2004, the land sold the estate and the vineyards to four winemakers from the region, which operate at the site together the winery Kloster Marienthal with 4.5 hectares of vineyards.
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Augustiner

Address:
Kloster Marienthal Klosterstraße 3-5 53507 Marienthal, Germany


Religious affiliation: catholic

Date founded/constructed: 1137

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Converted to Other Use

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
CADS11 visited Kloster Marienthal - Marienthal - RLP - Germany 8/7/2019 CADS11 visited it
Iris & Harry visited Kloster Marienthal - Marienthal - RLP - Germany 6/1/2018 Iris & Harry visited it
kaschper69 visited Kloster Marienthal - Marienthal - RLP - Germany 10/7/2017 kaschper69 visited it

View all visits/logs