By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Staffordshire University - Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, UK.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Poole/Freeman
N 53° 00.579 W 002° 10.903
30U E 554902 N 5873657
Quick Description: Staffordshire University is a public university with the main campus based in Stoke in the city of Stoke-on-Trent.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 7/31/2019 7:57:02 AM
Waymark Code: WM111VZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member blackjack65
Views: 0

Long Description:
Staffordshire University has one main campus based in the city of Stoke-on-Trent. They also have two Centres of Excellence in Healthcare Education, located in Stafford and Shrewsbury.

The Stoke-on-Trent campus is based on two sites just a few minutes’ walk apart. The Leek Road site is home to the Science Centre, law, business and sports spaces. The College Road site is where you’ll find the computing, creative arts and engineering facilities.

Their gold award in the 2019 Teaching Excellence Framework recognises excellent standards of learning and teaching, while 78 per cent of the research is world leading or of international importance (Research Excellence Framework 2014). Their interdisciplinary network of research centres drive the publication of hundreds of papers each year.

History
"In 1901, industrialist Alfred Bolton acquired a 2-acre (8,100 m2) site on what is now College Road and in 1906 mining classes began there. In 1907, pottery classes followed, being transferred from Tunstall into temporary buildings, and in 1914 the building now known as the Cadman Building was officially opened as the Central School of Science and Technology by J. A. Pease, President of the Board of Education. A frieze over the entrance depicts potters and miners. In 2013, the Library Conference room in the Cadman building was renamed the Alfred Bolton room.
In 1915, a department was established for the commercial production of Seger cones used to measure and control the temperatures of ceramic furnaces, based upon research completed by the principal, Joseph Mellor.
In 1924 grants from the Carnegie United Kingdom Trust were used to develop the ceramics library and in 1926 the name of the institution was changed to North Staffordshire Technical College.
By 1931 extensions to the Cadman Building ran along Station Road and housed the Mining Department. A grant was awarded from the Miners’ Welfare Fund to fund the building work. The new extension also housed the library, which by now had 35,000 volumes.
By 1934 the college consisted of four departments: Engineering (nearly 800 students), Pottery (just over 600 students), Mining (just under 500 students), and Chemistry (under 300 students).
In 1939, new engineering workshops were occupied for the first time and the land opposite the Cadman Building was purchased.
By 1950 Victoria Road changed its name to College Road and the site now extended over 12 acres (49,000 m2). The Mellor Building and Experimental Production Block (now Dwight Building) were constructed for the North Staffordshire College of Technology by 1960.
Various faculty movements and further building work resulted in North Staffordshire Polytechnic being formed in 1970 with the merger of Stoke-on-Trent College of Art, North Staffordshire College of Technology (both based in Stoke-on-Trent), and Staffordshire College of Technology in Stafford.
In 1977, the polytechnic absorbed a teacher training facility in Madeley, Staffordshire.
The polytechnic developed traditional strengths of the component institutions, e.g. ceramics (Stoke-on-Trent), computing (Stafford and sports education (Madeley). The mining department closed as result of the decline of coal mining in the 1980s. New subjects were developed. North Staffordshire Polytechnic was amongst only a handful of third-level institutions in the UK to offer International Relations as a dedicated degree. The 1992 UK government Research Assessment Exercise placed the International Relations Department as the highest-rated in the institution.
In 1988, the institution changed its name to Staffordshire Polytechnic.
In 1992, it became Staffordshire University, one of the new universities." SOURCE: (visit link)
(visit link)
Name: Staffordshire University

Location/Address:
College Road,
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England, UK.
ST4 2DE


Phone Number: 01782 294000

Web Site: [Web Link]

Type of School: Graduate School (part of larger university)

School Affiliation: Public -- National

Date Founded: 1906

Location of GPS Coordinates: Cadman Building entrance on College Road in Stoke

Enrollment: Not listed

Nicknames/Mascots: Not listed

School Colors: Not listed

School Motto: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Post one original photograph of the school that is a different view from the one on the main page, and describe your visit. Add any additional information that you may have about this school is welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Universities and Colleges
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.