By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Clocher Eglise Saint Etienne - Ars en Re, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 12.476 W 001° 30.953
30T E 614487 N 5118220
Quick Description: in the town center dans le centre ville
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 7/2/2019 12:36:11 AM
Waymark Code: WM10WEY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 2

Long Description:
The bell tower of Ars en Ré is an original bell tower known throughout the world for its shape and its original colors. It served in the past to mark sailors. today, the church is under renovation and the whole is classified as a French historical monument.
Arriving on the Island by car, you will recognize it from afar. But in the summer, you will have to park in the outdoor car parks of the city center to be able to approach it.



Heritage source:

"the bells, named Françoise, Louise and Marie-Victoire

The Saint-Etienne church of Ars-en-Ré is original in presenting a nested Romanesque church and Gothic church. In the eleventh century, a small Romanesque chapel was built, then enlarged in the twelfth and converted into Gothic in the fifteenth. To defend itself against the attacks of looters from the sea, the village built very early, around his church, a walled enclosure in the manner of a castle. It was dismantled in the 18th century.
Under the Revolution, Saint-Etienne became Temple of Reunion and Reason. It was under its Gothic vaults that the sessions of the popular society of the Friends of Liberty and Equality were held. She was returned to worship in 1802.
The Saint-Etienne d'Ars church is known for its postcards and its 40m white and black steeple which serves as a bitter seafarer, but it is also the church of a small town classified among the most beautiful villages of France.


The enclosure of the Saint-Etienne church of Ars-en-Ré
In the eleventh century, the church is a rectangular building (the current Romanesque nave). In the 12th century, the abbey of Saint-Michel en l'Herm (Vendée) took possession of its islands of Ars and Loix (in the present Ile-de-Ré). We can think that a first tranche of modifications took place at that time. In the 15th century, under the pressure of a growing population, the church grew of a Gothic part which multiplies its surface.
However, like the Châteliers abbey on the commune of Flotte-en-Ré, these small island villages remained tempting preys for looters from the sea. Also the inhabitants of Ars built a fortified enclosure around their church. High walls protected, outside, by a moat and leaning on a thick interior wall. All pierced with three well-defended doors. It was a real castle dominated by a square tower thirteen meters high, itself capped with a flattened dome.
From there it was easy to observe the sea and to spot all the ships. Between the walls and the cult building was a large open field where the men in charge of the defense were trained. It is also possible that the name of Ars comes from the Latin Arx which means "citadel".
The danger from the sea did not really disappear until the eighteenth century. The enclosure was then dismantled little by little. Around 1760, stones were used on the wall to pave the aisles of the church. Under the Terror, in February 1794, the entire wall was demolished and the moat was filled to protect its access. In a general way, the ground was backfilled and leveled to facilitate the exercises of the National Guard. This explains the raising of the level of the church square and, consequently, the burial of the religious building. Indeed, being on the Place Carnot d'Ars, it is necessary to go down six steps, in front of the Romanesque portal, to reach the church."


Le clocher d'Ars en Ré est un clocher original connu dans le monde entier pour sa forme et se couleurs originales. Il servait par le passé de repere aux marins. aujourd'hui, l'eglise est en pleine rénovation et le tout est classé monument historique Francais.
En arrivant sur l'Ile en Voiture, vous le reconnaitrez de loin. Mais l'été, il vous faudra vous garer sur les parkings exterieurs du centre ville pour pouvoir l'approcher.


source Patrimoine :

"les cloches, prénommées Françoise, Louise et Marie-Victoire

L'église Saint-Étienne d'Ars-en-Ré fait preuve d'originalité en présentant une église romane et une église gothique imbriquées. Au XIe siècle, une petite chapelle romane fut construite, puis agrandie au XIIe et transformée en gothique au XVe. Pour se défendre des attaques des pillards venus de la mer, le village édifia très tôt, autour de son église, une enceinte fortifiée à la manière d'un château fort. Celle-ci fut démantelée au XVIIIe siècle.
Sous la Révolution, Saint-Étienne devint Temple de la Réunion et de la Raison. C'est sous ses voûtes gothiques que se tenaient les séances de la société populaire des Amis de la Liberté et de l'Egalité. Elle fut rendue au culte en 1802.
L'église Saint-Étienne d'Ars est connue par ses cartes postales et son clocher de 40m blanc et noir qui sert d'amer aux marins, mais c'est aussi l'église d'une petite commune classée parmi les plus beaux villages de France.


L'enceinte de l'église Saint-Étienne d'Ars-en-Ré
Au XIe siècle, l'église n'est qu'un édifice rectangulaire (la nef romane actuelle). Au XIIe, l'abbaye de Saint-Michel en l'Herm (en Vendée) reprend possession de ses îles d'Ars et de Loix (dans l'actuelle Ile-de-Ré). On peut penser qu'une première tranche de modifications eut lieu à cette époque. Au XVe siècle, sous la pression d'une population croissante, l'église s'agrandit d'une partie gothique qui démultiplie sa surface.
Cependant, comme l'abbaye des Châteliers sur la commune de la Flotte-en-Ré, ces petits villages insulaires demeuraient des proies tentantes pour les pillards venus de la mer. Aussi les habitants d'Ars construisirent-ils une enceinte fortifiée autour de leur église. Hautes murailles protégées, à l'extérieur, par une douve et s'appuyant sur un mur intérieur épais. Le tout percé de trois portes bien défendues. C'était un véritable château fort dominé par une tour carrée de treize mètres de hauteur, elle-même coiffée d'un dôme aplati.
De là il était facile d'observer la mer et de repérer tous les navires. Entre les murailles et l'édifice cultuel se trouvait un large terrain à découvert où s'entraînaient les hommes chargés de la défense. Il est d'ailleurs possible que le nom d'Ars vienne du latin Arx qui signifie «citadelle».
Le péril venu de la mer ne disparut vraiment qu'au XVIIIe siècle. L'enceinte fut alors démantelée petit à petit. Vers 1760, on utilisa des pierres du mur pour paver des allées de l'église. Sous la Terreur, en février 1794, l'ensemble de la muraille fut démolie et l'on combla la douve qui en protégeait l'accès. D'une manière générale, le terrain fut remblayé et arasé pour faciliter les exercices de la Garde Nationale. C'est ainsi qu'on explique l'exhaussement du niveau de la place de l'église et, par suite, l'enfouissement du bâtiment cultuel. En effet, en étant sur la place Carnot d'Ars, il faut descendre six marches, devant le portail roman, pour accéder à l'église."


Patrimoine : (visit link)


Visite du clocher : (visit link)
Location of the Steeple:
place de l eglise
Ars en Re, Nouvelle Aquitaine France
17590


Approximate Date of Construction: 1/1/1400

Website: [Web Link]

Rate this Steeple:

Visit Instructions:
Enjoy your visit, tell your story and post a picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Unique Steeples
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Fullbrou visited Clocher Eglise Saint Etienne -  Ars en Re, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France 5/13/2019 Fullbrou visited it