Cheapside and Lexington Courthouses
N 38° 02.874 W 084° 29.890
16S E 719528 N 4214084
Quick Description: A short pioneer history of Lexington, KY
Location: Kentucky, United States
Date Posted: 12/6/2006 4:58:51 PM
Waymark Code: WM10VV
A log schoolhouse oneast side of public square was one of the first buildings outside fort walls, 1782. Here, the first teacher, John McKinney, was attacked by a wildcat. A stone market house was built in 1795, and the surrounding square became a popular trading center. Court day was held each month until 1921. See over.
East of Cheapside is the public square, where courthouses of Lexington have stood since 1788. The present edifice is fifth courthouse, the fourth on this site. It was builtduring 1898-1900 after fire destroyed fourth courthose and the famous statue “Woman Triumphant” by Kentucky sculpture Joel T. Hart. Over.