By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

(former) U.S. Post Office Building - Cartersville, GA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 34° 09.960 W 084° 47.820
16S E 703064 N 3782755
Quick Description: Today this building is the back-side of city hall and contains various city offices.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 6/25/2019 2:59:32 AM
Waymark Code: WM10V3R
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of post office: Bartow County
Location of post office: 1 N. Erwin St., Cartersville
Built: 1914
Architectural Style: Italian Renaissance Revival

Full inscription of cornerstone:

William G. McAdoo
Secretary of the Treasury
Oscar Wendeworth
Supervising Architect
1914

"U.S. Post Office, 1 N. Erwin Street(1914)

"The former U.S. Post Office, located at 1 North Erwin Street, is an Italian Renaissance Revival-style building with beige stretcher-bond brick and a hipped slate roof (photograph 20). A cornerstone dates the original post office construction as 1914. It has open eaves, exposed rafter ends, and a symmetrical facade. The central section of the front fa9ade (corresponding to the interior lobby) features a five-bay arcade with white Georgia marble arches, fluted Corinthian pilasters, and arched five-part windows in the arcade. The other windows are 12/12 double-hung sash. Other details include a double-door front entrance, three-part semicircular fanlight, a molded brick water table, and decorative brick panels. The building's unpainted, light-brick exterior is similar to that of the Sam Jones Memorial United Methodist Church sanctuary building nearby. The building served as the U.S. Post Office until approximately 1965 when a new post office opened east of downtown on Church Street near U.S. Highway 41. The interior of the building was altered for use by the local school board and city offices in 1969 and 1979. The vestibule and lobby are partially intact and feature vaulted ceilings, wood birch pilasters, and white tile floors. Since the 1990s, the building has been used as city administrative offices. The building is a contributing resource in the North Erwin Street Historic District, which was listed in the National Register in 1994." ~ NRHP Nomination Form

Public/Private: Public

Tours Available?: Unknown

Year Built: 1914

Web Address: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:

Category Visiting Requirements


An original photo is necessary to log a visit in this category along with a description of the visit. No extra visit requirements are allowed by the waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Victorian Style Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.