By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Clocher de l'Eglise Saint Paulin Saint Liphard - Rom, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Bono2333
N 46° 17.573 E 000° 06.856
31T E 277737 N 5130637
Quick Description: [FR] L'Eglise Saint Paulin Saint Liphard au centre du bourg de Rom. [EN] Saint Paulin Saint Liphard church in the center of the the village of Rom.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 6/18/2019 5:47:21 AM
Waymark Code: WM10RTM
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 4

Long Description:
[FR] "Une bulle de 1118, du pape Gélase II, cite l'église de Roomo parmi les possessions de l'abbaye bénédictine de Nouaillé, mais dès 1278, elle est répertoriée comme «Saint-Liphard de Rom », à la nomination de l'évêque de Poitiers. Elle était devenue le siège d'un archiprêtré dont dépendaient 17 paroisses, aujourd'hui pour moitié dans la Vienne et dans les Deux-Sèvres. On comprend que dut exister là une église romane assez vaste.

Elle était alors sous le titre de Saint-Liphard, ce moine ermite aménageur des marais de Meung-sur-Loire, sur la tombe duquel fut construit un monastère dès le IXe s. Fallut-il s'en réclamer pour quelque aménagement de la Dive ?

On ne sait rien de ce qui s'est passé pendant la guerre de Cent ans et pendant les guerres de Religion. Mais en 1634, une juridiction extraordinaire, les Grands Jours de Poitiers, ordonne de réparer le clocher, la grande porte et «les arcades qui sont entre les deux nefs ». L' église était déjà amputée de son collatéral sud. On l'agrandira plus tard en élargissant le collatéral nord. C'est le plan de ce qui reste au début du XIXe s., après de nouvelles réparations en 1817. Le clocher, alors à la croisée du transept, était toujours aussi fragile et dangereux, menaçant de s'écrouler sur les voûtes. Il durera néanmoins jusqu'en 1864.

1849. À la fin des vêpres de l'Assomption, le curé se tourne vers le peuple avec l'ostensoir et voit le début de l'écroulement du bas-côté nord. Il donne l'alerte et l'église est évacuée à temps. Après un devis de restauration par Bizard, architecte de l'arrondissement, c'est finalement le rapport de Segrétain en 1851 qui emporte l'adhésion : l'ensemble a « quelque chose de monumental» à conserver. Une restauration est préférable à la reconstruction, même si c'est plutôt de cela qu'il s'agit pour les parties les plus endommagées : mur ouest écroulé sur la moitié de sa longueur, mur nord à restreindre, reconstitution du collatéral sud, ajout des trois absides en hémicycle sur le chevet plat. La reprise du clocher sur la coupole centrale est abandonnée au profit d'un clocher néo-gothique, hors oeuvre sur la façade ouest, par Bontemps, en 1869.

En 1856, un petit collège ecclésiastique « Saint-Paulin » est confié par Monseigneur Pie aux Frères de la doctrine chrétienne. Il durera jusqu'en 1900 dans les dépendances du presbytère. Saint Paulin (353-431), bordelais comme son ami le poète Ausone, fut un évêque exemplaire à Nole, puis à Naples. Le titre de SaintPaulin va devenir celui de la paroisse de Rom.

Aujourd'hui :

«Une église qui trompe son monde» : toute son enveloppe extérieure est d'un néogothique banal : clocher à flèche d'ardoise, baies sans caractère... Et pourtant, déjà sous le clocher, le porche semble bien du XIIIe s., avec son cordon de pointes de diamant, ses trois voussures aux arêtes adoucies par un tore, reposant sur d'élégantes colonnettes aux chapiteaux feuillus."

Les coordonnées vous mèneront à l'entrée de cette église. Sous la cour de l'église était construite une chapelle sous-terraine. La chapelle Saint Pierre, située dans le parc du château, existait encore jusqu'au XVIIe siècle. Deux gisants y ont été découverts; il pourrait s'agir de Savary III de Vivonne et de Huguette ou Catherine de Vivonne (sa petite fille ou son arrière petite fille). Vous pourrez découvrir ces gisants à l'intérieur de l'église Saint Paulin Saint Liphard.
[EN] "A bubble of 1118, of the Pope Gelasius II, quotes the church of Roomo among the possessions of the Benedictine abbey of Nouaillé, but from 1278, it is listed as" Saint-Liphard of Rom ", to the appointment of the Bishop of Poitiers, it had become the seat of an archpriest on which 17 parishes depended, today half in the Vienne and the Deux-Sèvres, and we understand that there must have been a fairly large Romanesque church.

It was then under the title of Saint-Liphard, this monk hermit developer of the marshes of Meung-sur-Loire, on whose tomb was built a monastery from the 9th century. Should he claim it for some development of the Dive?

Nothing is known about what happened during the Hundred Years War and during the Wars of Religion. But in 1634, an extraordinary jurisdiction, the Great Days of Poitiers, ordered to repair the bell tower, the big gate and "the arcades which are between the two naves". The church was already amputated from its south aisle. It will be expanded later by widening the north aisle. This is the plan of what remains in the early nineteenth century, after further repairs in 1817. The steeple, then at the crossroads of the transept, was still fragile and dangerous, threatening to collapse on the vaults. It will last nevertheless until 1864.

1849. At the end of the vespers of the Assumption, the priest turns to the people with the monstrance and sees the beginning of the collapse of the north aisle. He gives the alert and the church is evacuated in time. After an estimate of restoration by Bizard, architect of the district, it is finally the report of Segrétain in 1851 which wins the adhesion: the set has "something of monumental" to preserve. A restoration is preferable to the reconstruction, even if it is rather what it is for the most damaged parts: west wall collapsed on half of its length, north wall to be restricted, reconstitution of the south collateral, addition three apses hemicycle on the flat bedside. The revival of the bell tower on the central dome is abandoned in favor of a neo-gothic bell tower, off work on the west facade, by Bontemps, in 1869.


In 1856, a small ecclesiastical college "Saint-Paulin" was entrusted by Monseigneur Pie to the Brothers of the Christian doctrine. It will last until 1900 in the outbuildings of the presbytery. Saint Paulin (353-431), bordelais like his friend the poet Ausone, was an exemplary bishop in Nole, then in Naples. The title of Saint Pauline will become that of the parish of Rom.

Today :

"A church which deceives its world": all its outer envelope is of a neogothic commonplace: steeple with slate arrow, berries without character ... And yet, already under the bell tower, the porch seems well of XIIIe S., with its cord of diamond points, its three voussures with ridges softened by a torus, resting on elegant columns with leafy capitals. "


The coordinates will take you to the entrance to this church. Under the courtyard of the church was built a subterranean chapel. The chapel Saint Pierre, located in the park of the castle, existed until the XVIIe century. Two gisants were discovered there; it could be Savary III de Vivonne and Huguette or Catherine de Vivonne (his little girl or his great granddaughter). You can discover these recumbents inside the Saint Paulin Saint Liphard church.


Source : (visit link)
Location of the Steeple:
Rue de la Rigaudière
Rom, Nouvelle Aquitaine France
86700


Approximate Date of Construction: 1/1/1869

Rate this Steeple:

Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Enjoy your visit, tell your story and post a picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Unique Steeples
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Bono2333 visited Clocher de l'Eglise Saint Paulin Saint Liphard - Rom, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France 6/19/2019 Bono2333 visited it