By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Organ - San Pantaleo - Roma, Italy
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member denben
N 41° 53.827 E 012° 28.383
33T E 290379 N 4641441
Quick Description: San Pantaleo is a 17th century convent church located on the Piazza di San Pantaleo in the rione Parione of Rome, Italy.
Location: Lazio, Italy
Date Posted: 6/1/2019 7:23:07 PM
Waymark Code: WM10NCK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Team GPSaxophone
Views: 0

Long Description:
A church at the site dates from the 12th-century, but the present facade (1807) is in a Neoclassical style and the interiors were elaborated in a Baroque style.

Records claim the church at the site was founded by the early 12th century, other records note founding by Pope Honorius III in 1216. In 1418, the church was rebuilt by Alessandro Savelli, who had an adjacent palace. Some notes indicate it was linked to a group of English priests. In 1681, it was rebuilt by Giovan Antonio de' Rossi for the fathers of the Scuole Pie (Piarists) of St Giuseppe Calasanzio, who lived in the adjacent convent. His room is preserved. His relics are held in a porphyry urn in the church. In 1808, under the patronage of Duke Giovanni Torlonia, a facade was commissioned from the architect Giuseppe Valadier.

The two storeys are separated by a large frieze displaying a relief of a medley of liturgical and sacred items depicted as if they had been washed up in a flood, which the architect described as "military-religious". This work was by Pietro Aurelj. The cornice above it, is decorated with egg-and-dart moulding.

In contrast to the rather stark façade, the interior is richly Baroque. The single nave has four bays, the first and fourth being narrower. The two middle bays have chapels on each side. The sanctuary is a single bay with an attached apse with conch.

The barrel-vaulted ceiling springs from the entablature, and has four windows on each side in lunettes. The outer windows are smaller, since these bays are shallower. The vault is frescoed illusionistically by Filippo Gherardi, the subject being the Glory of the Name of Mary. This was finished in 1692.

The entablature on the counterfaçade is supported by a pair of ribbed and gilded pilasters, over which is applied the floating organ gallery on corbels, which has outcurving wings. Above the entablature is a large window, flanked by a pair of frescoed angels, and on it is a super-gallery or walkway which curves round to above the first pair of chapel piers.

The organ has a very pretty gilded Baroque case, embellished with a mob of putti. The organ itself was installed in 1925.

Sources: Sources: Wikipedia (visit link) and (visit link)
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Musical Instruments
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.