By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Stained Glass Windows - St Mary - Bungay, Suffolk
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 27.334 E 001° 26.290
31U E 393874 N 5812856
Quick Description: Stained glass windows in St Mary's church, Bungay.
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 6/1/2019 1:30:15 PM
Waymark Code: WM10NB9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:
Stained glass windows in St Mary's church, Bungay.

There are two very lofty and wide windows, which occupy the greater part of the north wall of the nave. They contain perpendicular tracery; as do the other lights in the church, except the east window, which is below criticism.

The east window of the north aisle is mid Victorian and dedicated to various members of the Mann family.

"St Mary's was built as the church to a Benedictine priory. This was established in the late 12th century, but the main part of the present church dates from the 14th–15th century. The Domesday Survey records a church dedicated to the Holy Cross in the town, and it is thought that St Mary's stands on the site of an earlier Saxon church. The priory was closed in 1536 as a result of the dissolution of the monasteries, St Mary's became a parish church, and a grammar school was established in one of the priory's chapels. In 1577 the church was struck by lightning, and this event led to the Legend of the Black Dog (see below).

The church was damaged in a great fire in the town in 1688. The roof of the south aisle and some of the fittings, including benches and possibly the pulpit, were burnt, but the roof of the nave was not damaged. The south aisle was re-roofed in 1699, and the church re-opened in 1701. In 1879 the tower was repaired, and the rest of the church was restored, at a cost of £3,000 (equivalent to £300,000 in 2018). During the 20th century the size of the congregation declined and the church was declared redundant. Its benefice has been united with that of Holy Trinity Church. A society, The Friends of St Mary's, cleans the church and organises concerts and other events in the church."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
St Mary
18 Trinity St
Bungay, Suffolk England
NR35 1EH


Days of Operation: Daytime

Hours of Operation: From: 12:00 AM To: 12:00 AM

Admission Charge: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.