By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Église Saint-Louis de Strasbourg - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 48° 34.689 E 007° 44.742
32U E 407486 N 5381322
Quick Description: L’église Saint-Louis de Strasbourg est située rue Saint-Louis. De style baroque, elle est affectée au culte catholique. The Saint-Louis church in Strasbourg is located on rue Saint-Louis. In the Baroque style, it is used for Catholic worship.
Location: Grand-Est, France
Date Posted: 5/30/2019 10:58:45 AM
Waymark Code: WM10MYZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
Credits : (visit link)

"Histoire
À l’emplacement de l’église se dressait un couvent de carmes jusqu’à la réforme protestante. Sécularisé 1528, il devint un bâtiment d’habitation comportant également un magasin à suif.

Une première église dédiée à Saint Louis est construite en 16872 durant la période où le culte catholique reprit une place importante en Alsace, sous le règne de Louis XIV. L’appellation « Saint-Louis-des-Français », en l'honneur du Roi Soleil, apparait à la même époque. La paroisse est alors confiée à la Congrégation de Notre-Sauveur, qui l'administre jusqu'à la Révolution sous le nom de Maison Saint-Louis. L’église était un pèlerinage à Notre-Dame des Douleurs.

L'église est vendue en 1790, au cours de la révolution française. À la suite d'un incendie en 1805, elle devient un magasin à tabac. On reconstruit l’église entre 1825 et 1827, conservant une apparence très dépouillée. L’église est de style néobaroque et néoclassique, une partie de l’aménagement est également contemporaine de la construction du xixe siècle.

Le retable présente trois statues de 1893 : Saint-Augustin, pour les chanoines du xviie siècle, Sainte-Thérèse d'Avila en mémoire des carmes, et Saint-Louis, patron de l’église. La nef comporte une chaire sculptée par Théophile Klem et récompensée par un diplôme d’honneur lors de l’exposition industrielle et artisanale de Strasbourg en 1895. L'église compte également des peintures à l’huile de Martin Feuerstein représentant des épisodes de la vie de Saint-Louis.

Dans les années 1930, les frères Ott réalisent des vitraux pour l'église.

Le chœur est rénové entre juin et octobre 2015.

Orgue

Orgue de l’église
L’orgue de tribune datant 1896, dont le buffet est classé aux monuments historiques au titre objet, ainsi que les peintures du chœur de Martin Feuerstein sont remarquables.

L’orgue est construit par Charles et Edgard Wetzel dans un buffet néobaroque réalisé par Paul Klein. Il remplace un instrument de Jean-Conrad Sauer. Il est basé sur un orgue Cavaillé-Coll et a 25 jeux avec Machine-Barker. L’instrument n'a été que très peu modifié au fil du temps. Plusieurs tuyaux de l’orgue ont été dérobés en 1973. Ils ont été remplacées en 1983.

Culte
Depuis septembre 2012 l’église sert à la fois à la paroisse territoriale et à la paroisse de la Croix glorieuse. Cette dernière officie avec le rite tridentin, l’abbé Gouyaud étant en même temps curé de la paroisse Saint-Louis et curé de la Croix glorieuse."

"History
On the site of the church stood a Carmelite convent until the Protestant reform. Secularized in 1528, it became a residential building that also included a tallow store.

The first church dedicated to Saint Louis was built in 16872 during the period when Catholic worship took up an important place in Alsace during the reign of Louis XIV. The appellation "Saint-Louis-des-Français", in honour of the Sun King, appeared at the same time. The parish was then entrusted to the Congregation of Notre-Sauveur, which administered it until the Revolution under the name of Maison Saint-Louis. The church was a pilgrimage to Our Lady of Sorrows.

The church was sold in 1790, during the French Revolution. Following a fire in 1805, it became a tobacco store. The church was rebuilt between 1825 and 1827, maintaining a very bare appearance. The church is in neo-Baroque and neoclassical style, part of the layout is also contemporary with the construction of the nineteenth century.

The altarpiece features three statues from 1893: Saint Augustine, for the canons of the 18th century, Saint Theresa of Avila in memory of the Carmelites, and Saint Louis, patron saint of the church. The nave has a pulpit sculpted by Théophile Klem and awarded an honorary diploma at the industrial and craft exhibition in Strasbourg in 1895. The church also has oil paintings by Martin Feuerstein depicting episodes from the life of Saint-Louis.

In the 1930s, the Ott brothers made stained glass windows for the church.

The choir was renovated between June and October 2015.

Organ

Church organ
The organ dating from 1896, whose buffet is classified as an historical monument under the object title, as well as the paintings of Martin Feuerstein's choir are remarkable.

The organ was built by Charles and Edgard Wetzel in a neobaroque buffet designed by Paul Klein. It replaces an instrument by Jean-Conrad Sauer. It is based on a Cavaillé-Coll organ and has 25 stops with Machine-Barker. The instrument has been modified very little over time. Several organ pipes were stolen in 1973. They were replaced in 1983.

Cult
Since September 2012 the church has served both the territorial parish and the parish of the Glorious Cross. The latter officiates with the Tridentine rite, Father Gouyaud being at the same time priest of the parish of Saint-Louis and priest of the glorious Cross."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Qui a placé ce repère historique ? / Who placed this historical marker ?:
Société d'histoire de l'église d'Alsace


Date de placement / Date of establishment: Not listed

Site internet / Internet Website: Not listed

Eléments cryptés / Encrypted elements: Not listed

Conditions de visite alternatives / Alternative visit requirements: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
[FR] Une preuve de votre visite est demandée. Joignez à votre log une photo du repère historique et culturel ou répondez à la question alternative proposée par l'owner quand elle existe (si vous ne pouvez joindre de photo).
[ENG] A proof of your visit is needed. Join a picture from the historical and cultural marker to your log or respond to the alternative question proposed by owner if available (if you can't provide a picture).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Histoires de France (French historical markers)
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.