By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Jo Daviess County Courthouse - Galena, Illinois
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 42° 25.098 W 090° 25.537
15T E 711808 N 4699432
Quick Description: This three-story brick Second Empire building is located at 330 N Bench Street in Galena, Illinois.
Location: Illinois, United States
Date Posted: 5/15/2019 7:37:37 PM
Waymark Code: WM10JFN
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Sneakin Deacon
Views: 0

Long Description:
Current name: Jo Daviess County Courthouse

Architect: A.C. Weary, Freeport

Developer: John Goodmiller, Stockton

Style: Greek Revival. Dormers

Architectural Description: This is a 3-story courthouse in the Greek Revival style built in 1838, 1900, 1970. The foundation is limestone. Exterior walls are brick; limestone. The building has a mansard roof clad in slate. Windows are original or historic; contemporary wood; aluminum 1/1 double- or single-hung; hood molding/crowns; with molding. Doors are contemporary metal glazed; recessed entry with fanlight.

- ruskinarc.com Historic Architecture Survey Database



National Register Building Details
 
ADDRESS HIST. PROPERTY NAME C or N/C DATE STYLE, FORM, TYPE
330 N. Bench Street Jo Daviess County Courthouse C 1839, 1900, 1970, 1990 Greek Revival/Second Empire

- National Register Application



Jo Daviess County (/'de?v?s/) is a county located in the northwest corner of U.S. state of Illinois. According to the 2010 census, it had a population of 22,678. Its county seat is Galena.

Jo Daviess County is part of the Tri-State Area and is located near Dubuque, Iowa and Platteville, Wisconsin. As part of the Driftless Area, Jo Daviess County is known for its scenic stretches of road and valley views. Within Jo Daviess County lies Charles Mound, the highest natural point in Illinois.

Jo Daviess County was formed in 1827 out of Henry and Putnam Counties. It is named for Maj. Joseph Hamilton Daveiss, United States District Attorney for Kentucky, who was killed in 1811 at the Battle of Tippecanoe. Maj. Daveiss' name is universally misspelled, as in the name of this and other counties. The local pronunciation is "Davis". Jo Daviess County was founded exclusively by immigrants from New England. These were old stock "Yankee" immigrants, meaning they were descended from the English Puritans who settled New England in the 1600s. The completion of the Erie Canal caused a surge in New England immigration to what was then the Northwest Territory. The end of the Black Hawk War led to an additional surge of immigration, once again coming almost exclusively from the six New England states as a result of overpopulation combined with land shortages in that region. Some of these later settlers were from upstate New York and had parents who had moved to that region from New England shortly after the Revolutionary War. New Englanders and New England transplants from upstate New York were the vast majority of Jo Daviess County's inhabitants during the first several decades of its history. These settlers were primarily members of the Congregational Church though due to the Second Great Awakening many of them had converted to Methodism and some had become Baptists before coming to what is now Jo Daviess County. The Congregational Church subsequently has gone through many divisions and some factions, including those in Jo Daviess County are now known as the Church of Christ and the United Church of Christ. As a result of this heritage the vast majority of inhabitants in Jo Daviess County, much like antebellum New England were overwhelmingly in favor of the abolitionist movement during the decades leading up to the Civil War. In the late 1880s and early 1890s Irish and German migrants began moving into Jo Daviess County, most of these later immigrants did not move directly from Ireland and Germany, but rather from other areas in the Midwest where they had been living, particularly the state of Ohio.

- Wikipedia Entry for Jo Daviess County

Year Built: 1839

Current Use of Building: County Courthouse

Level of Courts: County

Architect: A.C. Weary

Dates this building was used to house judicial proceedings: 1839-1839-present

Physical Address:
330 N. Bench Street
Galena, Illinois 61036


Hours:
M-F 8am-4pm


Related Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
At least one original photograph should be added to the gallery. And please describe your impressions and visit to the courthouse.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Courthouses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.