By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Hume Dam - Lake Hume Village, NSW, Australia
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Grahame Cookie
S 36° 06.351 E 147° 02.053
55H E 503079 N 6004310
Quick Description: This circular plaque is on the New South Wales side of the earthern dam wall.
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Date Posted: 5/13/2019 11:10:14 PM
Waymark Code: WM10J7B
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member QuesterMark
Views: 0

Long Description:
Beneath the circular 'National Engineering Landmark' The Institute of Engineers, Australia plaque that is set at the top of a boulder overlooking the dam wall, are two square bronze plaques. The left-hand one reads:

[The Institute of Engineers, Australia - logo]
The Engineering Works of the Murray River
"The inter-governmental conference on the waters of the River Murray ar Corowa in 1902 gave rise to one of the great engineering initiatives of the new Federation. The creation of the River Murray Commission in 1915 by the governments of the Commonwealth, New South Wales, South Australia and Victoria established the framework under which the four governments would work together for the equitable, efficient and sustainable use of the waters of the River Murray. A comprehensive scheme of works, comprising Hume and Dartmouth Dams, Lake Victoria and a series of locks, weirs and barrages from Yarrawonga to the Murray mouth, has been constructed to support irrigation, urban water supply, hydro-electric generation, navigation, recreation, and flood mitigation. Their purpose continues to be to contribute to human welfare. The challenge remains for current and future generations to ensure that continuing operations sustain the health for the river's ecological community.
"Similar plaques are at Yarrawonga Weir and Blanchtown Weir."
Dedicated by
The Institution of Engineers, Australia
and the Murray Darling Basin Commission
2001 -- The Centenary of Federation

And the right-hand square plaque reads:

[The Institute of Engineers, Australia - logo]
HUME DAM

"The design and construction of Hume Dam, which was the major work authorised by the River Murray Act (1915), was directed by engineers E. M. de Burgh (NSW) and J. S. Dethridge (Vic). Lake Hume supplies water for extensive irrigated agriculture, town supplies and power generation, whilst mitigation flooding in the Murray Valley. When finished in 1936 it was one of the largest dams in the world. The doubling of its storage in 1961 to 3 million megalitres involved a large number of post-war migrants, the relocation of Tallangata township and the raising of Bethanga Bridge. Substantial works between 1994 and 2003 brought the dam to contemporary design standards. In its basic design and subsequent upgrading Hume Dam provides evidence of the development of dam engineering in Australia."

The Institution of Engineers, Australia
State Water Corporation, New South Wales
Goulburn-Murray Rural Water Authority
Murray-Darling Basin Commission, 2005

Visited: 1510 Monday, 31 December, 2018

Location:
Lake Hume Village, Murray River - NSW/(Vic)


Type of structure/site: Dam

Date of Construction: 1938; extended in 1961

Engineer/Architect/Builder etc.: E.M. de Burgh (NSW), and J.S. Dethridge (Vic)

Engineering Organization Listing: Engineers Australia

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Web Site: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
The listed coordinates for this waymark must be personally visited.

Please submit at least one ORIGINAL PHOTO of the structure, preferably one showing a different aspect, angle, season, etc. from the original waymark.

Give the DATE of your visit and any comments or additional information that will help other visitors enjoy this site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Engineering Landmarks
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.