By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Bright House - Lewistown, MT
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 47° 03.836 W 109° 25.971
12T E 619000 N 5213460
Quick Description: Built as a carriage house for the Bright House across the street, this has, since about 1913, reen a residence.
Location: Montana, United States
Date Posted: 5/13/2019 9:33:26 PM
Waymark Code: WM10J72
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:
One of the several Lewistown residences built by Croatian stonemasons around the turn of the twentieth century, this home was built by contractor Peter Tuss in 1902 for the Citizens’ Electric Company president, John L. Bright. It was actually built as the carriage house and stable for Bright's house across Boulevard Street, at #702. The carriage house was expanded with an addition in 1912, the stonework indicates that the same stonemasons had a hand in the construction of the addition. Sanborn maps from 1913 refer to the building as residential, indicating that the addition was likely in concert with its being converted from carriage house to residence.

Peter Tuss also built the residence across the street. While Bright sold the residence to sheep rancher Rufus B. Thompson in 1905, he retained ownership of this carriage house until 1926. Its history after 1926 is unknown.

Bright House
The Bright House is an architecturally significant example of adaptive reuse dating to the early 20th century. The stone masonry exhibited in the original 1902 construction of this building, as well as the later alterations completed ca. 1912, well-represent the work of the highly skilled immigrant stone masons of Lewistown. The building was constructed originally as a stable and carriage house for the J. L. Bright residence, which is located across Boulevard Street (see Lewis House). Peter Tus was the builder who constructed the Lewis House in 1902. This residence is included in the submission as well and sits at 702 W. Boulevard. Due to the similarity of masonry techniques in both this residence and the Lewis House, it is assumed that Mr. Tus constructed this carriage housed-turned-residence as well. Bright sold the residence in 1905, but maintained ownership of the carriage house until 1926. The 1908 Sanborn map indicates the use of the building as an auto garage, but since 1913 its use is noted as residential. John Bright was president and treasurer of Citizen's Electric Company, which in 1903 built the stone mill house on upper Spring Creek.

This l½ story, coursed, rock-faced ashlar stone residence is characterized by a dramatic gambrel roof. The traditional gambrel, balloon-framed roof shelters the main portion of the house. The eaves are "flying" or flared at the one-story height and extend across both the front and back of the building. The ridge of the gambrel parallels the street. The upper downslope of the gambrel is covered with composition shingles; the lower (steeper) downslope is wood shingled. Two projecting window elements adorn the second story above the veranda roof of the entry elevation of the house. A projecting shed dormer houses a single double-hung window right of center. The shed roof is a projection of the downslope of the upper gambrel roof shape. A second window is left-of-center and is a projecting octagonal bay window with a flat roof. The veranda is subdivided into three equal bays by single tapered wood columns. The right bay is open to the entrance behind; the other two bays have a balcony height wood frame enclosed railing between the columns. The original recessed, beaded mortar joints can be seen under the roof of this engaged porch.
From the NRHP Registration Form

Photo goes Here

Street address:
707 West Boulevard Street
Lewistown, MT USA
59457


County / Borough / Parish: Fergus

Year listed: 1993

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture

Periods of significance: 1900-1924

Historic function: Domestic - Secondary Structure

Current function: Domestic - Single Dwelling

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.