By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Hoosick Falls Armory - Hoosick Falls, NY
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member LadyKarine
N 42° 53.969 W 073° 21.112
18T E 634556 N 4750970
Quick Description: The Hoosick Falls Armory is located along Church Street (NY 22) in the village by that name in New York, United States. It is a red brick building with castellated tower dating to the late 19th century.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 5/12/2019 2:58:28 PM
Waymark Code: WM10J1E
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:
Hoosick Falls Armory (added 1995 - - #95000086)

Owned by the state of New York

One of many armories in New York designed by state architect Isaac G. Perry, it is one of his earlier armories, more restrained and less imposing than those he built later in his career. It has remained mostly intact since its construction. The military units of the New York National Guard based there, first mustered during the American Civil War, have fought in the 1916 Mexican Border Campaign, in Belgium during World War I, and the Battle of Saipan during World War II. It is closed as a military facility and currently houses the Hoosick Armory Youth Center and Community Coalition, abbreviated as HAYC3, which runs community events and provides studio and office space to small area businesses.

In 1995 the armory was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. With the 2009 auction of the 18th Separate Company Armory in Glens Falls, and the purchase and conversion of the Hoosick Falls Armory into a community center, the Gloversville armory is the only one still in military use in the Capital District.

Building
The armory is located on a flat lot roughly a quarter-acre (1,000 m²) at the northeast corner of the Church and Elm Street intersection, southwest of downtown. The neighborhood around the armory has a mix of commercial and residential properties. There are houses on the other side of Church; to the south is a car dealership and Immaculate Conception Church is behind the armory. A chain-link fence is on the south, a parking lot in the rear and the front has a small lawn.

The building itself is a large rectangular gable-roofed brick building. The load-bearing walls rest on a rusticated limestone foundation. The two-and-a-half-story west (front) section serves as administrative offices; the two-story, eight-bay rear is the drill shed. All sections of the building have seamed metal roofs.

On the front, two towers flank the three-bay facade. The main entrance, located on the northernmost bay of the first story, has a large steel double door with half sidelights topped by a round fanlight with protective iron grille. The other two bays have tripartite round-arched windows. On the second story the windows are similar but paired, and a single group of three windows is in the apex of the gable. At the roofline the cornice is machicolated between a corbeled string course.

The two-story southwest tower has narrow windows with stone sills, flared brick lintels and a conical roof. The taller northwest tower has similar windows that get much shorter on the third and attic stories, topped by a crenelated parapet and machicolated cornice.

On the north and south facades of the drill shed, brick pilasters separate the windows, given a similar treatment to those on the first story. Two bays have double-doored entrances. The rear facade is blank. Three shed dormer windows pierce the roof on either side.

Within the armory some original features remain. In the front hall, these include the oak staircase, lockers and some door trim. The second-floor offices are intact but modern paneling has been installed over the original plaster. The attic has been heavily altered. Some original pressed-metal ceilings remain in the basement, but otherwise it has been completely redone. In the drill shed, the original hardwood floors, brick walls, exposed steel trusses and wainscoted ceiling remain.
Street address:
80 Church St,
Hoosick Falls, NY
12090


County / Borough / Parish: Rensselaer

Year listed: 1995

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture, Military

Periods of significance: 1875-1899

Historic function: Defense

Current function: 1-Fonction: Defense 2- Sub-Fonction: Arms Storage

Privately owned?: no

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 2: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.