By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Église Saint-Joseph - Namur, Belgium
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 27.936 E 004° 51.910
31U E 632371 N 5592062
Quick Description: [FR] L’Église Saint-Joseph, sise au centre de la ville de Namur (rue de Fer), en Belgique, date du XVIIe siècle. [EN] The Saint-Joseph Church, located in the center of the city of Namur (rue de Fer), in Belgium, dates from the 17th century.
Location: Namur, Belgium
Date Posted: 5/11/2019 8:49:59 AM
Waymark Code: WM10HMQ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member franketmuriel
Views: 1

Long Description:

" Construite de 1627 à 1655 par les pères Carmes pour leurs activités apostoliques l’église fait partie d’un complexe - couvent et église - qui s’étend de la rue de Fer à la rue des Carmes. Elle est fermée lorsque le pouvoir révolutionnaire français installé à Namur expulse les religieux.

Lorsque la liberté de culte est rétablie dans les Pays-Bas méridionaux l’église est rouverte (en 1818) comme église paroissiale sous le patronyme de Saint-Joseph. Elle est classée au patrimoine de Wallonie en 1936.

Pour des raisons de sécurité, l’église est fermée au public depuis mars 2008. La charpente en bois de la toiture - réalisée sans un seul clou - se disloque lentement, n'étant plus qu'à peine supportée par les murs latéraux et menace de s’effondrer par le centre. La région wallonne a mis à l’étude un projet de restauration. Dans l’entretemps les offices religieux sont célébrés dans une chapelle à l’arrière de l’église.

L’édifice est construit en briques et pierres de Meuse. La façade de style baroque est aussi gracieuse qu’élégante. Des volutes de pierre bleue, avec pots-à-feu, fenêtres et niches de saints brisent la monotonie d’une façade de briques.

Les Carmes ne sont pas oubliés: à gauche et à droite de la porte d’entrée se trouvent les statues des deux saints principaux de l’Ordre du carmel, Thérèse d’Avila et Jean de la Croix. Parallèle à la rue de Fer, la rue qui passe à l’arrière de l’église (et ou se trouvait l’entrée du couvent) s’appelle toujours 'rue des Carmes’. "

Sources : L’Eglise

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"Built from 1627 to 1655 by the Carmelite fathers for their apostolic activities, the church is part of a complex - convent and church - which stretches from the rue de Fer to the rue des Carmes and is closed when the revolutionary power French installed in Namur expels religious.

When freedom of worship is restored in the southern Netherlands the church is reopened (in 1818) as a parish church under the name of St. Joseph. It is classified Heritage Wallonia in 1936.

For security reasons, the church has been closed to the public since March 2008. The wooden frame of the roof - made without a single nail - breaks up slowly, no longer being supported by the side walls and threatens to collapse by the center. The Walloon region has been studying a restoration project. In the meantime religious services are celebrated in a chapel at the back of the church.

The building is built of bricks and stones of Meuse. The Baroque facade is as graceful as it is elegant. Swirls of blue stone, with pots-a-feu, windows and niches of saints break the monotony of a brick facade.

The Carmelites are not forgotten: to the left and to the right of the door are the statues of the two principal saints of the Carmelite Order, Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross. Parallel to the Rue de Fer, the street behind the church (and where was the entrance to the convent) is still called 'rue des Carmes'. "

Sources : The Church

Adresse/Adres/Adresses/Address:
Rue de Fer
Namur, Belgium
5000


Année de construction/Bouwjaar/Baujahr/Year of construction: 1627

Date d'arrêté/ Datum van het Besluit/ Datum der Unterschutzstellung/ Date of protection: 15/01/1936

Numéro de dossier/Dossiernummer/Dateinummer/File number: 92094-CLT-0004-01

URL: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
[ENG]
Take one or more personally-obtained photos of the monument, or a very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo.
[FR]
Prenez une ou plusieurs photos personnelles du monument, ou une description très détaillée de votre visite peut se substituer à une photo.
[NL]
Neem een of meer persoonlijk verkregen foto's van het monument, of een zeer gedetailleerde beschrijving van uw bezoek kan in de plaats komen van een foto.
[DE]
Mach ein oder mehreren persönliches Bilden von dem Monument, oder eine sehr detaillierte Beschreibung Ihres Besuchs kann ein Foto ersetzen.

 

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Belgium Monument Registers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
pmaupin visited Église Saint-Joseph - Namur, Belgium 5/11/2019 pmaupin visited it