By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Organ - First Lutheran Church - San Diego, CA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member denben
N 32° 43.212 W 117° 09.730
11S E 484803 N 3620280
Quick Description: The First Lutheran Church is located at 1420 Third Ave in San Diego, California.
Location: California, United States
Date Posted: 4/20/2019 12:53:41 PM
Waymark Code: WM10DW8
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Team GPSaxophone
Views: 0

Long Description:
In 1888 a small group of people organized a congregation that would become First Lutheran. On October 21, 1888, the Rev. Edwin R. Wagner, a direct descendent of Martin Luther, preached the first sermon of the new church. Soon property was purchased and in 1893 the cornerstone was laid for the growing congregation’s first permanent home on Second Avenue in downtown San Diego, the site which is now the headquarters of the Sempra Energy Corporation.

After a major expansion in 1951 and several renovations, the building was demolished in the 1950’s, and in 1961, First Lutheran moved to its present location at the corner of Third Avenue and Ash Street. The utilitarian brick structure underwent a major renovation and expansion in the late 1990’s and now has a lovely, welcoming plaza, a chapel with columbarium, and space for the medical and dental clinics it sponsors for the poor in the downtown area.

The renovation received the Millenium Design Award from Faith and Form magazine. With these improvements, First Lutheran feels well placed to live up to its building fund motto: In the City for Good.

Source: (visit link)
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Musical Instruments
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.