By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Smedenpoort (Porte des Forgerons) - Bruges, Belgium
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 51° 12.267 E 003° 12.733
31U E 514825 N 5672582
Quick Description: [EN] Located west of the historic city and planted on one of the bridges that crosses the canal separating medieval Bruges from Bruges with the more recent Bruges. [FR] Situé à l’Ouest de la ville historique et planté sur un des ponts qui traverse le canal séparant le Bruges du moyen-âge avec le Bruges plus récent.
Location: West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Date Posted: 4/14/2019 8:38:26 AM
Waymark Code: WM10CKE
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Where's George
Views: 0

Long Description:

"The smith's door (Smedenpoort in Dutch) is one of the essential passages still used today to enter the city.

Solid and rounded building, the door of blacksmiths consists of a massive block with 3 passages: a very large and very high door and 2 smaller spans on its flanks. These 2 small doors allow pedestrians and bicycles to quickly cross the premises. The big door is now reserved for vehicles.

On each side of the passages, 2 large round towers frame the passage. Solidly built of brick and stone, the blacksmith's door has very few openings on the outside of the city. A few small windows located well above the main passage, on the towers as well as well-arranged loopholes adorn the facade.

On the side of the entrance to the city, 2 additional advances in the shape of a triangle very uncomfortable reflect the defensive role of the book. On the other side, for those who want to go out of Bruges, the building is nicer and rounder.

Today, 2 metal walkways frame the blacksmith's door and allow pedestrians to pass faster over the canal.

Covered with a slate roof and surmounted by a small bell that rings the closing of the city gates, the blacksmiths bridge has undergone many changes over the centuries. The first version of the door dates from 1297 and its construction lasted 2 years. Installed in the middle of the passage on the channel, destroyed and rebuilt in 1367, the door has endured the tests of time until recently (the second world war has damaged it). Since then, the door has been restored and repainted in light yellow as it was in the past.

Small morbid detail: a small bronze skull above the left passage (historic city side) replaces the headless head of the guardian François van der Straeten who adorned the bridge blacksmiths in 1691. The latter had been discovered while he s was preparing to bring the French enemy into the city on June 25 of the same year. Hanged and beheaded, the traitor will be exposed to the sight of everyone above the door to remind those who are tempted that the crime is severely punished. "

Sources : The Door

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" La porte des forgerons (Smedenpoort en néerlandais) est un des passage incontournable encore utilisé aujourd’hui pour rentrer dans la cité.

Bâtiment massif et arrondi, la porte des forgerons se compose d’un bloc massif dôté de 3 passages : une très grande et très haute porte et 2 plus petites travées sur ses flancs. Ces 2 petites portes permettent aux piétons et aux vélos de rapidement franchir les lieux. La grande porte est aujourd’hui réservée aux véhicules.

De chaque côté des passages, 2 grosses tours rondes encadrent le passage. Solidement construite en brique et en pierre, la porte des forgerons n’a que très peu d’ouvertures sur l’extérieur de la ville. Quelques petites fenêtres situées bien au-dessus du passage principal, sur les tours ainsi que des meurtrières bien disposées habillent la façade.

Du côté de l’entrée dans la ville, 2 avancées supplémentaires en forme de triangle fort peu avenantes traduisent le rôle défensif de l’ouvrage. De l’autre côté, pour ceux qui veulent sortir de Bruges, le bâtiment est plus agréable et arrondi.

Aujourd’hui, 2 passerelles métalliques encadrent la porte des forgerons et permet aux piétons de passer plus rapidement au dessus du canal.

Recouvert d’un toit en ardoise et surmonté d’une petite cloche qui sonne la fermeture des portes de la ville, le pont des forgerons a connu de nombreux changement au fil des siècles. La première version de la porte date de 1297 et sa construction a duré 2 années. Installée en plein milieu du passage sur le canal, détruite et reconstruite en 1367, la porte a subi les épreuves du temps jusqu’à récemment (la seconde guerre mondiale l’a bien endommagée). Depuis, la porte a été restaurée et repeinte en jaune claire comme elle l’était par le passé.

Petit détail morbide : un petit crâne de bronze situé au dessus du passage de gauche (côté ville historique) remplace la tête décapitée du gardien François van der Straeten qui orna le pont des forgerons en 1691. Ce dernier avait été découvert alors qu’il s’apprêtait à faire entrer l’ennemi français dans la ville le 25 juin de la même année. Pendu puis décapité, le traître sera exposé à la vue de tous au dessus de la porte afin de rappeler à ceux qui seraient tentés que le crime est sévèrement puni. "

Sources : La Porte

The "Official Tourism" URL link to the attraction: [Web Link]

The attraction’s own URL: [Web Link]

Hours of Operation:
24/24 7/7 The interior does not visit


Admission Prices:
Free


Approximate amount of time needed to fully experience the attraction: Less than 15 minutes

Transportation options to the attraction: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

As a suggestion for your visit log, please make every effort to supply a brief-to-detailed note about your experience at the Waymark. If possible also include an image that was taken when you visited the Waymark. Images can be of yourself, a personal Waymarking signature item or just one of general interest that would be of value to others. Sharing your experience helps promote Waymarking and provides a dynamic history of your adventures.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Official Local Tourism Attractions
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Smedenpoort (Porte des Forgerons) - Bruges, Belgium 4/14/2019 pmaupin visited it