By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Horloge de l'Hôtel de Ville - City Hall Clock - Rimouski, Québec
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
N 48° 26.959 W 068° 31.507
19U E 535115 N 5366350
Quick Description: Cette horloge est située sur le devant de l'hôtel de ville de Rimouski, à Rimouski, Québec. This clock is located on the front of the Rimouski City Hall, in Rimouski, Quebec.
Location: Québec, Canada
Date Posted: 4/4/2019 9:01:40 AM
Waymark Code: WM10AZ2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 3

Long Description:
Description de l'horloge:

L’horloge est fixée sous l’arche segmentaire, au sommet de l’entrée principale, sur la façade de l’hôtel de ville de Rimouski. Elle est entourée de pierres décoratives sculptées en reliefs. Les aiguilles de l’horloge de même que les pièces de métal servant à indiquer les heures sont peintes en noir.

« 1869 à 1930, les séances du Conseil municipal ont lieu dans différents endroits. Les travaux de construction débutent en 1929 selon les plans de l'architecte Héliodore Laberge de Québec. La composition est asymétrique. Il y a une aile de chaque côté du pavillon d'entrée. L'aile sud est de même hauteur que le pavillon d'entrée et sert d'hôtel de ville proprement dit. Quant à l'aile nord, plus basse, elle sert de poste de police et de caserne de pompiers. L'architecture de la caserne est assez austère, celle de l'hôtel de ville, plus détaillée.

La façade est subdivisée horizontalement en trois parties distinctes: les soubassements en pierres à bossage rustique, le rez-de-chaussée en briques et le bel-étage, plus haut que les autres, décoré de hautes fenêtres encadrées de chambranles de pierres sculptées. Le Conseil municipal tient sa première assemblée dans le nouvel édifice le 6 octobre 1930. Il est inauguré officiellement le 12 octobre. L'immeuble est rénové et agrandi dans les années 1970. Il perd alors la plupart de ses ornementations de style Beaux-Arts qui lui sont propres. Demeurent au niveau de l'entrée principale du pavillon central, l'arc segmentaire, l'horloge et les quatre pilastres qui encadrent les fenêtres de l'étage. »

Source : Patrimoine Neigette

Source: (visit link)

Description of the clock:

The clock is mounted under the segmental arch, at the top of the main entrance, on the facade of the Rimouski Town Hall. It is surrounded by decorative stones carved in reliefs. The hands of the clock as well as the metal parts used to indicate the hours are painted black.

Translated from the above noted text:

From 1869 to 1930, City Council meetings were held in different locations. Construction began in 1929 according to the plans of Quebec architect Héliodore Laberge. The composition is asymmetrical. There is one wing on each side of the entrance pavilion. The south wing is the same height as the entrance pavilion and serves as a town hall proper. The lower northern wing serves as a police station and fire station. The architecture of the barracks is rather austere, that of the town hall, more detailed.

The facade is subdivided horizontally into three distinct parts: the basements of stone with rustic bosses, the ground floor made of bricks and the first floor, higher than the others, decorated with high windows framed by carved stone jambs. City Council holds its first assembly in the new building on October 6, 1930. It is officially inaugurated on October 12. The building was renovated and enlarged in the 1970s. It lost most of its Beaux-Arts-style decorations of its own. Remain at the main entrance of the central pavilion, the segmental arch, the clock and the four pilasters that frame the windows of the floor.

Source: Neigette Heritage
Status: Working

Display: Mounted

Web link to additional info: [Web Link]

Year built: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Photo of clock.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Town Clocks
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.