By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Eglise Notre Dame - Chize, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 06.972 W 000° 20.860
30T E 704943 N 5110378
Quick Description: in the town center dans le centre ville
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 4/4/2019 12:59:39 AM
Waymark Code: WM10AX8
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
Views: 2

Long Description:
Source Parvis Catholic:
Over the centuries Dominating the old town, the church bears witness to a long and painful history. Nothing remains of the first Romanesque church mentioned in a bull of Pope Alexander III in 1164. First dependent on the monastery of St. Croix de Poitiers, it became in 1250 an annex of the parish church of Brieuil, then the This situation was reversed, with the Sainte-Radegonde church of Brieuil-sur-Chizé becoming its annex. The battle of Chizé (BNF Gallica) The stronghold of Chizé was occupied by the English. During the siege by Du Guesclin in March 1373, a fire mainly affects the north wall of the church and its lean-to. The church is already named after Notre Dame. It is rebuilt before 1428, partly on the previous foundations, it seems. This is the big work of the present church, with its Gothic bays, its flat bedside and its corner counterparts, well preserved in the east. The chapels of the north will be destroyed again, probably in the Wars of Religion, so that the church presents itself today with a nave and a single aisle. But important transformations are still waiting for him.

Outside The gate was opened afterwards in the south wall. Dated in 1536, it is a rather sober example of the Renaissance style. Attributed to Mathurin Berthome, the architect of the old city hall in Niort, he is the only outside element to give some animation to the austerity of the church. The statue of the Virgin and Child, patron saint of the place, welcomes us. It has a head redone, the Greek. The bell tower underwent a first underpinning, at the same time as the south wall of the church in 1845, by the architect Bizard, de Melle. But the stone spire became dangerous and it was necessary to demolish everything and rebuild in 1869 with a slate covered spire. It was the work of Désiré Bontemps, architect in Niort, respecting only an old base with buttresses, up to 1.50 m high. The beautiful spiral staircase was restored in 1871, and a clock Pierre Bernard (Chizé) in 1873. The bell "Marie-Elisabeth" was blessed in 1924 by Bishop de Durfort, bishop of Poitiers.

Inside The end of the 19th century was as often fertile in development: 1845, the wooden ceiling of the nave; 1879, construction of the sacristy; 1887, large stained glass window of the chevet (L.Lobin, Tours) representing the Coronation of Mary between King David and the prophet Isaiah (restored in 1981). In the nave, the stained glass windows are by J. Fournier (Tours, 1899), representing Saint Andrew, Saint Stephen, holding in his deacon's garment the stones of his stoning (Acts 7, 58) and Our Lady of Perpetual Help. As it should be, one finds at the Baptistery, of the same glass-maker, the Baptism of Christ, in a clutter of statues of devotion in plaster, deposited there.
Finally, how can we not notice on the ground the large number of tomb-plates, brought there in 1807, remarkable witnesses of an epoch, in fact still the seventeenth century: names, ages, trades, formulas of prayer, are precious cuments. Stereotyped formulas, such as "Cy gist the body of defunct .... who died on ... God face him by-don ... pray to God for his soul" make them quite easy to decipher by the visitor.

ParvisCatholic: (visit link)


Source Parvis Catholic :
Au fil des siècles Dominant le vieux bourg, l’église témoigne d’une longue et douloureuse histoire. Il ne reste rien d’une première église romane citée dans une bulle du pape Alexandre III en 1164. Dépendant d’abord du monastère de Sainte-Croix de Poitiers, elle devint en 1250 une annexe de l’église paroissiale de Brieuil, puis la situation s’inversa, l’église Sainte-Radegonde de Brieuil-sur-Chizé devenant son annexe. La bataille de Chizé (BNF Gallica) La place forte de Chizé fut occupée par les Anglais. Lors du siège par Du Guesclin en mars 1373, un incendie touche surtout le mur nord de l’église et son appentis. L’église porte déjà son nom de Notre-Dame. Elle est reconstruite avant 1428, en partie sur les soubassements précédents, semble-t-il. C’est le gros œu-vre de l’église actuelle, avec ses baies gothiques, son chevet plat et ses contre-forts d’angles, bien conservés à l’est. Les chapelles du nord seront de nouveau détruites, sans doute aux guerres de Religion, si bien que l’église se présente aujourd’hui avec une nef et un seul bas-côté. Mais d’importantes transformations l’attendent encore.

À l’extérieur Le portail a été ouvert après coup dans le mur sud. Daté de 1536, il est un exemple assez sobre du style Renaissance. Attribué à Mathurin Berthomé, l’archi-tecte de l’ancien hôtel de ville de Niort, il est à l’extérieur le seul élément à don-ner quelque animation à l’austérité de l’église. La statue de la Vierge à l’Enfant, patronne du lieu, nous y accueille. Elle est dotée d’une tête refaite, à la grecque. Le clocher subit une première reprise en sous-œuvre, en même temps que le mur sud de l’église en 1845, par l’architecte Bizard, de Melle. Mais la flèche de pierre devint dangereuse et il fallut tout démolir et reconstruire en 1869 avec une flèche couverte en ardoise. Ce fut l’œuvre de Désiré Bontemps, architecte à Niort, respectant seulement une base ancienne avec ses contreforts, jusqu’à 1,50 m de haut. Le bel escalier en vis fut rétabli en 1871, et une horloge de Pierre Bernard (Chizé) en 1873. La cloche « Marie-Elisabeth » a été bénie en 1924 par Mgr de Durfort, évêque de Poitiers.

À l’intérieur La fin du XIXe siècle fut comme souvent féconde en aménagements : 1845, le plafond de bois de la nef ; 1879, construction de la sacristie ; 1887, grand vitrail du chevet (L.Lobin, Tours) représentant le Couronnement de Marie entre le roi David et le prophète Isaïe (restauré en 1981). Dans la nef, les vitraux sont de J. Fournier (Tours, 1899), représentant Saint André, Saint Etienne tenant dans son vêtement de diacre les pierres de sa lapidation (Actes des apôtres 7, 58) et Notre-Dame du Perpétuel Secours. Comme il se doit, on trouve au baptistère, du même verrier, le Baptême du Christ, dans un encombrement de statues de dévotion en plâtre, déposées là.
Enfin, comment ne pas remarquer au sol le grand nombre de plates-tombes, apportées là en 1807, remarquables témoins d’une époque, en fait toujours le XVIIe siècle : noms, âges, métiers, formules de prière, sont de précieux do-cuments. Des formules stéréotypées, telles que « Cy gist le corps de defunct.... qui décéda le ... Dieu lui face par-don... priez Dieu pour son âme » les rendent assez faciles à déchiffrer par le visiteur.

ParvisCatholic : (visit link)
Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of building construction: 1/1/1100

Dominant Architectural Style: Roman

Diocese: Diocese de Poitiers

Address/Location:
place de l eglise
Chize, Nouvelle Aquitaine France
79170


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Date of organization: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.