By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

La chapelle Toutes Aures - Manosque, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YvesProvence
N 43° 49.454 E 005° 46.075
31T E 722573 N 4856074
Quick Description: La chapelle Saint-Pancrace, dite aussi de Toutes Aures, est une chapelle romane située au sommet de la colline de Toutes-Aures à Manosque dans le département des Alpes-de-Haute-Provence.
Location: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Date Posted: 4/3/2019 10:59:44 AM
Waymark Code: WM10ATG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
Views: 1

Long Description:
FR Histoire
La chapelle est placée sous le vocable de saint Pancrace de Rome. Une première construction, remontant au xiie siècle, servit d'abord d'église au sein d'un village aujourd'hui disparu. Jadis appelé Toutes-Aures, cet ancien village compta même deux églises et un château. "Toutes-Aures" signifie exposé à tous les vents, ce qui s'explique par sa situation sur la colline.

Abandonné en 1377 à cause du danger des bandes armées, le village se déplaça avec plusieurs autres pour former la ville de Manosque. L'une des deux églises fut cependant restaurée vers 1423. En 1561, les premières violences des guerres de religion causent la profanation de l’église : les statues sont brisées, les tableaux déchirés. Sur son emplacement, la décision de construire une chapelle est prise en 16341, à la suite d'un vœu prononcé au moment de la peste de 1631. L’édification est achevée en 16371 placée sous la titulature de la Vierge Marie, elle changea pour Saint-Pancrace, devenu patron de la ville à la place de saint Sébastien.

En 1708, après le tremblement de terre, une procession est instaurée chaque 15 août.

Le culte de saint Pancrace prit une grande ampleur lorsqu'en 1712, les carmes de Rome offrirent aux Manosquins des fragments d'os du saint. Conservées dans la chapelle, ces reliques firent naître un important pèlerinage annuel. En 1790, la chapelle fut pillée, mais les ossements de saint Pancrace furent sauvés. Un nouveau reliquaire fut installé en 1796. La chapelle fut à nouveau restaurée en 1869. En 1900 elle vit se dérouler un double meurtre, celui de l'ermite Cyrille Barbier et de son neveu. Le meurtrier fut arrêté, mais il ne put être condamné à cause d'une erreur du médecin-légiste sur l'heure de la mort.

Architecture
Le long bâtiment possède une entrée ornée d'un portail du xviie siècle, abrité par un porche rajouté en 1756. Le bâtiment se prolonge côté ouest par un ermitage. L'intérieur contient un mobilier bien fourni. On y voit encore l'inscription exprimant le vœu de 1631. Un autre ex-voto peint en 1708 rappelle le vœu de procession pris lors du tremblement de terre de 1708, pour chaque dimanche qui suivrait le 15 août.

Célébrations
Aujourd'hui, une fête de Toutes-Aures a lieu sur la colline chaque lundi de Pâques. On célèbre aussi le 12 mai la fête du patron de la ville, Saint-Pancrace. Aux xviie siècle et xviiie siècle, le pèlerinage s'accompagna de défilés militaires qui furent remplacés par des pique-niques et des dégustations de saucisson.
EN History
The chapel is called St. Pancras of Rome. A first building, dating back to the thirteenth century, was first used as a church in a village that has now disappeared. Once called Toutes-Aures, this former village even had two churches and a castle. "All-Aures" means exposed to all winds, which is explained by its location on the hill.

Abandoned in 1377 due to the danger of armed gangs, the village moved with several others to form the city of Manosque. However, one of the two churches was restored around 1423. In 1561, the first violence of the religious wars caused the desecration of the church: the statues were broken and the paintings torn apart. On its site, the decision to build a chapel was taken in 16341, following a vow made at the time of the plague of 1631. The building was completed in 16371 under the title of the Virgin Mary, it changed to St. Pancras, which became the patron saint of the city in the place of St. Sebastian.

In 1708, after the earthquake, a procession was held every 15 August.

The cult of Saint Pancras took on a great importance when in 1712, the Carmelites of Rome offered Manosquins fragments of the saint's bones. Preserved in the chapel, these relics gave rise to an important annual pilgrimage. In 1790, the chapel was looted, but the bones of Saint Pancras were saved. A new reliquary was installed in 1796. The chapel was restored again in 1869. In 1900 she saw a double murder take place, that of the hermit Cyrille Barbier and his nephew. The murderer was arrested, but he could not be convicted because of a mistake made by the forensic doctor at the time of death.

Architecture
The long building has an entrance decorated with a 17th century portal, sheltered by a porch added in 1756. The building extends to the west side with a hermitage. The interior contains well furnished furniture. We can still see the inscription expressing the vow of 1631. Another ex-voto painted in 1708 recalls the processional vow taken during the 1708 earthquake, for each Sunday after August 15.

Celebrations
Today, an All-Aures holiday is held on the hill every Easter Monday. On May 12, the city's patron saint, Saint-Pancrace, is also celebrated. In the 18th and 18th centuries, the pilgrimage was accompanied by military parades, which were replaced by picnics and sausage tastings.


Source : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapelle_Saint-Pancrace_de_Manosque
Type of Church: Chapel

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of organization: 1/1/1301

Date of building construction: 1/1/1634

Diocese: Digne les Bains

Address/Location:
Chapelle Toutes Aures
Chemin de San Brancai,
Manosque, France
04100


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Dominant Architectural Style: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.