By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Lalonde Building - Helena, MT
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 46° 35.298 W 112° 02.334
12T E 420412 N 5159938
Quick Description: A contributing building to the Helena Historic District, the Lalonde building wasn't built until 1928.
Location: Montana, United States
Date Posted: 3/27/2019 2:10:45 PM
Waymark Code: WM109MX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 0

Long Description:
One of five buildings erected on North Last Chance Gulch following the 1928 fire, the Beaux Arts styled Lalonde Building is somewhat classical in design, with rich embellishment on its facade, consisting primarily of strings of garlands of fruit and shields. At the stepped pediment are several ornate shields and ogee brackets, below which are a line of terra cotta panels and larger panel with the name LALONDE. Below that is a series of shields, below which is a string of alternating garlands and shields. Over one entrance is a low arched classical portico over a doorway with substantial terra cotta embellishment.

Over the years the building has housed many businesses and organizations, two notable ones being the Montana Chamber of Mines, an organization designed to develop and encourage the mining industry in the state, which moved into the building in July of 1933, and the office of the Republicans of Montana.

Lalonde Building - 42 NLCG - Comm. Beaux Arts - 1928 - Contributing
From the NRHP Registration Form
The Lalonde Building stands in the centre of the five buildings erected after the 1928 fire, which was started by lightning on July 14 of that year, taking out all of the west side of the block on North Last Chance Gulch except the Power Block, on the north end. From north to south, the five are: Gold Block - 1929, New York Store - 1929, Lalonde Building - 1928, Granite Building - 1928, Hartwig Building - 1928.
Buildings erected on N. Main following the 1928 fire
These buildings exhibit the influences of Art Moderne, Beaux Arts and Mission style design in the work of George Carsley, John G. Link and Charles S. Haire. Replacing the three to five-story buildings which burned on these sites, these two-story, one-part and two-part plans reflect harsher economic conditions in Helena as the Great Depression approached.
From the NRHP Registration Form

Photo goes Here

Artist: Probably architects Link & Haire

Address:
42 North Last Chance Gulch
Helena, MT
59601


Web URL to relevant information: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photos of the building and a piece of art (minimum 1).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Frieze Art
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.