By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Tour Marie Spilar - Namur - Belgique
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member PaulLassiter
N 50° 27.805 E 004° 52.096
31U E 632597 N 5591825
Quick Description: [FR] Vestige médiéval de la troisième enceinte de la ville de Namur. [EN] Medieval remains of the third enclosure of the city of Namur.
Location: Namur, Belgium
Date Posted: 3/27/2019 12:00:51 PM
Waymark Code: WM109M2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member franketmuriel
Views: 3

Long Description:
[FR]

"Construite de 1388 à 1390 par le maître maçon Henri Mérial, cette tour tire son nom de la propriété derrière laquelle elle fut bâtie, appartenant à une certaine Marie Spilar. La tour constitue un des vestiges de la troisième enceinte urbaine, au même titre que les tours Saint-Jacques (actuel beffroi, rue du Beffroi) et Baduelle ou de la Monnaie (rue Basse Marcelle). Il s’agit d’une construction massive en calcaire de plan semi-circulaire précédé d’une travée droite. Le rez-de-chaussée est presque aveugle, ajouré seulement par trois meurtrières, l’une de front, les deux autres flanquant les anciennes courtines (murailles reliant deux tours de fortification) dont les amorces subsistent à l’est et à l’ouest. Une porte en plein cintre s’ouvre au niveau de l’ancien chemin de ronde. Les deux étages sont percés en quinconce de trois fenêtres étroites. La tour a été restaurée en 1949 par les architectes Jean et Jules Lalière."

[EN]

"Built from 1388 to 1390 by the master mason Henri Mérial, this tower takes its name from the property behind which it was built, belonging to a certain Marie Spilar. The tower is one of the remains of the third urban enclosure, as are the Saint-Jacques towers (now the belfry, rue du Belfroi) and Baduelle or de la Monnaie (rue Basse Marcelle). It is a massive limestone construction with a semi-circular plan preceded by a straight span. The ground floor is almost blind, opened only by three loopholes, one on the front, the other two flanking the old curtains (walls connecting two fortification towers) whose primers remain to the east and west. A round-arched door opens at the level of the old round path. The two floors are staggered with three narrow windows. The tower was restored in 1949 by architects Jean and Jules Lalière."

Source: (visit link)
Adresse/Adres/Adresses/Address:
Rue de la Tour, n° 7
Namur, Wallonie Namur
5000


Année de construction/Bouwjaar/Baujahr/Year of construction: 1388

Date d'arrêté/ Datum van het Besluit/ Datum der Unterschutzstellung/ Date of protection: 1955

Numéro de dossier/Dossiernummer/Dateinummer/File number: 92094-CLT-0063-01

URL: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
[ENG]
Take one or more personally-obtained photos of the monument, or a very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo.
[FR]
Prenez une ou plusieurs photos personnelles du monument, ou une description très détaillée de votre visite peut se substituer à une photo.
[NL]
Neem een of meer persoonlijk verkregen foto's van het monument, of een zeer gedetailleerde beschrijving van uw bezoek kan in de plaats komen van een foto.
[DE]
Mach ein oder mehreren persönliches Bilden von dem Monument, oder eine sehr detaillierte Beschreibung Ihres Besuchs kann ein Foto ersetzen.

 

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Belgium Monument Registers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.