By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Ancien collège des Jésuites - Namur - Belgique
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member PaulLassiter
N 50° 27.826 E 004° 51.755
31U E 632193 N 5591853
Quick Description: [FR] Etablissement séculaire d’enseignement secondaire situé au cœur du vieux Namur. [EN] A secular secondary school located in the heart of Old Namur.
Location: Namur, Belgium
Date Posted: 3/19/2019 11:36:28 AM
Waymark Code: WM1086C
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Michaelfiles
Views: 2

Long Description:
[FR]

"En 1545, le magistrat urbain fonde une école latine dite École du Faucon, reprise plus tard par des pères jésuites qui en font un collège d’Humanités en 1610. Entre 1611 et 1645 la construction d’un remarquable ensemble de bâtiments comprenant le collège proprement dit, la résidence de la communauté jésuite et l’église Saint-Ignace est réalisé. Ce complexe architectural est classé comme monument le 15 janvier 1936.

Le long bâtiment en L et l’aile basse délimitent une cour intérieure rectangulaire, divisée en deux par une galerie. Cet ensemble traditionnel remonte au XVIIe siècle, tandis que les bâtiments le long de la rue Basse-Marcelle, délimitant une troisième cour presque fermée, datent des siècles suivants. L’aile à rue, profondément remaniée, conserve cependant un portail d’entrée originel. Il est daté de 1614 sur la clé, marquée postérieurement du lion hollandais, mais en-dessous, un millésime de 1777 rappelle les transformations.

En 1980, l’établissement prend le nom d’Athénée royal François Bovesse, en hommage à l’un de ses plus célèbres anciens élèves, assassiné par les rexistes le 1er février 1944."

[EN]

"In 1545, the urban magistrate founded a Latin school called the École du Faucon, later taken over by Jesuit fathers who made it a college of Humanities in 1610, and between 1611 and 1645 the construction of a remarkable complex of buildings including the college itself, the Jesuit community residence and the Saint-Ignace church was completed. This architectural complex was classified as a monument on January 15, 1936.

The long L-shaped building and the lower wing define a rectangular inner courtyard, divided in two by a gallery. This traditional complex dates back to the 17th century, while the buildings along rue Basse-Marcelle, delimiting an almost closed third courtyard, date from the following centuries. The street wing, which has been extensively redesigned, nevertheless retains an original entrance gate. It is dated 1614 on the key, later marked with the Dutch lion, but below it, a 1777 vintage recalls the transformations.

In 1980, the school was named Athénée royal François Bovesse, in homage to one of its most famous former students, murdered by the realists on February 1, 1944."

Source: (visit link) , (visit link)
Adresse/Adres/Adresses/Address:
Rue du Collège 6-8
Namur, Wallonie Belgique
5000


Année de construction/Bouwjaar/Baujahr/Year of construction: 1545

Date d'arrêté/ Datum van het Besluit/ Datum der Unterschutzstellung/ Date of protection: 1936

Numéro de dossier/Dossiernummer/Dateinummer/File number: 92094-CLT-0010-01

URL: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
[ENG]
Take one or more personally-obtained photos of the monument, or a very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo.
[FR]
Prenez une ou plusieurs photos personnelles du monument, ou une description très détaillée de votre visite peut se substituer à une photo.
[NL]
Neem een of meer persoonlijk verkregen foto's van het monument, of een zeer gedetailleerde beschrijving van uw bezoek kan in de plaats komen van een foto.
[DE]
Mach ein oder mehreren persönliches Bilden von dem Monument, oder eine sehr detaillierte Beschreibung Ihres Besuchs kann ein Foto ersetzen.

 

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Belgium Monument Registers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.