By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Église Notre-Dame-des-Pommiers de Largentière, Auvergne, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 44° 32.495 E 004° 17.447
31T E 602541 N 4932838
Quick Description: in the town center dans le centre ville
Location: Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, France
Date Posted: 3/14/2019 2:34:40 AM
Waymark Code: WM107EX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 0

Long Description:
According to Wikipedia:
The first mention of a church or chapel dates from the end of the twelfth century. There are two documents quoting Beata Maria de Pomeriis Church. It is probable that Pomeriis translated by Pommier does not come from the apple tree but from the Latin pomœrium which indicates a space dedicated around the ramparts on which it is forbidden to build. This probable etymology would come from this church was built against the ramparts and was part, in its western part, of the fortified city wall.

The round tower near the west porch was one of the towers of the ramparts.

The three-aisled church, begun at the end of the 12th century, has retained traces of Roman influence: a massive basement of piers with enclosed columns, crowned with capitals; Natural lighting of the choir; The chapels framing the choir and the original windows of the church open in a semicircular arch; The buttresses of the exterior walls.

Between 1209 and 1229, the Albigeois crusade was a troubled period in the Vivarais marked by the confrontation between the Counts of Toulouse and the bishops of Viviers for the possession of silver lead mines, the dispossession of the counts of Toulouse from their seigneuries , Including those of the Vivarais, to the advantage of the kings of France.

With the beginning of the Capetian hold on the Vivarais, the Gothic architecture imposed itself: vault supported by crosses of ribs; Capitals decorated with foliage; The truncated colonels are supported by heads.

The coat of arms of the Count of Toulouse is found on the keystone of the choir, indicating that it was built before 1229. In the north collateral was carved on a keystone the coat of arms of France with three fleur-de-lys of Saint Louis allowing to date this nave a few years later. The church was therefore built quickly and completed around 1240-1250.

The entrance to the church is on the southern façade, with vaults and two friezes on either side of the capitals: Annunciation, Angelus, and Sirens are represented there.

The chapels at the bottom of the lateral aisles were probably built by Bishop Louis de Poitiers in 1307. The chapels of St. Vincent and St. Andrew were completed 1429 and 1526, the chapel of the Virgin was founded in 1519 by Pierre Allamel and the chapel of the Holy Sepulcher in 1523. The church was consecrated on 10 October3.

The church did not have to suffer from religious wars. In 1562, the Protestants burnt down and destroyed the Convent of the Cordeliers which was located 200 m from the church.

In the 19th century, the priest Léorat, parish priest of Largentière between 1848 and 1877, built the sacristy in 1852, three chapels (Saint Joseph, Saint Louis de Gonzague and the dead), the west porch, gate and tribune, In 1852.

The square tower of the bell tower was built above the St. Vincent chapel at the beginning of the 18th century, the spire, in 1868.


selon Wikipedia :
La première mention d'une église ou d'une chapelle date de la fin XIIe siècle. On trouve deux documents citant l'église Beata Maria de Pomeriis. Il est probable que Pomeriis traduit par Pommier ne vient pas du pommier mais du latin pomœrium qui indique un espace consacré autour des remparts sur lequel il est interdit de construire1. Cette étymologie probable viendrait de ce l'église a été bâtie contre les remparts et a fait partie, dans sa partie occidentale, de l'enceinte fortifiée de la ville.

La tour ronde près du porche occidental était une des tours des remparts.

L'église à trois nefs commencée à la fin du XIIe siècle a conservé des traces de l'influence romane: socle massif des piles avec des colonnes engagées, couronnées de chapiteaux; éclairage naturel du choeur; les chapelles encadrant le choeur et les fenêtres originelles de l' église s'ouvrent en arc en plein cintre; les contreforts des murs extérieurs.

Entre 1209 et 1229, la croisade des Albigeois a été une période troublée dans le Vivarais marquée par l'affrontement entre les comtes de Toulouse et les évêques de Viviers pour la possession des mines de plomb argentifère, la dépossession des comtes de Toulouse de leurs seigneuries, dont celles du Vivarais, au profit les rois de France.

Avec le début de la mainmise des Capétiens sur le Vivarais, l'architecture gothique s'est imposée: voûte soutenue par des croisées d'ogives; chapiteaux décorés de feuillages; les colonettes tronquées sont supportées par des têtes.

On trouve le blason du comte de Toulouse sur la clé de voûte du chœur, ce qui indique qu'il a été construit avant 1229. Dans le collatéral nord a été sculpté sur une clé de voûte le blason de France à trois fleurs de lys de saint Louis permettant de dater cette nef de quelques années plus tard. L'église a donc été construite rapidement et achevée vers 1240-1250.

L'entrée de l'église se trouve sur la façade méridionale, avec des voussures et comportant de chaque côté en prolongement des chapiteaux, deux frises : Annonciation, Angélus, Sirènes y sont représentés2.

Les chapelles placées au fond des nefs latérales ont été probablement construites par l'évêque Louis de Poitiers, en 1307. Les chapelles absidiales de Saint-Vincent et Saint-André ont été achevées 1429 et 1526, la chapelle de la Vierge a été fondée en 1519 par Pierre Allamel et la chapelle du Saint Sépulcre en 1523. L'église a été consacrée un 10 octobre3.

L'église n'a pas eu à souffrir des guerres de religion. En 1562, les protestants ont incendié et détruit le couvent des Cordeliers qui était situé à 200 m de l'église.

Au XIXe siècle, le curé Léorat, curé de Largentière entre 1848 et 1877, a fait construire la sacristie, en 1852, trois chapelles (Saint Joseph, Saint Louis de Gonzague et des morts), le porche, le portail et la tribune occidentaux, en 1852.

La tour carrée du clocher a été édifiée au-dessus de la chapelle St Vincent au début du XVIIIe siècle, la flèche, en 1868.
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1200

Age of Church building determined by?: Other reliable source

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

Street address of Church:
avenue des marroniers
Largentiere, Auvergne France
07100


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.