By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Harrison Barrett Century Farm - Crosby, TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member jhuoni
N 29° 52.586 W 095° 04.287
15R E 299944 N 3306894
Quick Description: Recognized as a Family Land Heritage site in 2006. The farm is located at the end of a two way access road along Highway 90, southwest of the town of Barrett.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 2/9/2019 12:16:24 PM
Waymark Code: WM101RJ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Skyecat
Views: 0

Long Description:

The Texas Department of Agriculture oversees the Family Land Heritage Program

The Family Land Heritage Program is a recognition program that honors families who have owned and operated a continuous agricultural operation for 100 years or more. Every year TDA hosts a ceremony at the Texas State Capitol to celebrate and commemorate the families who have passed down their proud Texas legacy from generation to generation.

From the Barrett Station Civic League website

All About Barrett, Texas 77532
"A Community that is Rich in Pride, Heritage and Education"

Our History

The site south of highway 90 is historical Barrett Station. Barrett's Settlement was founded by a former slave, known as Harrison Barrett (1845-1917) and has been registered in the Texas Family Land Heritage as “Texas Century Farm”. Born into slavery, Barrett was the son of Simon and Lisa Barrett who came to Texas from Louisiana. He had two brothers and two sisters.

Following the emancipation of Texas slaves in 1865, Barrett spent several years gathering his family together. He eventually found all of them except one sister, and they settled on part of Reuben White's league east of the San Jacinto River and purchased the land for fifty cents an acre in 1889. It became one of the largest holdings in Harris County to be acquired by a former slave. Barrett named the property Barrett's Settlement. Harrison Barrett's homestead, twice rebuilt by his descendants, stands on its original location.

The community began with seven houses, which Barrett helped to build with lumber from his land. He helped members of his family to set up farms, established a saw mill, gristmill, and coffee mill and granted others open access to fish and crayfish in the spring and gully near his homestead. Harrison donated land for Shiloh Baptist Church, which also served as a school. In 1947, a high school and a post office branch, known as “Barrett Station” opened. Barrett, who died in 1917, was buried in Journey's End Cemetery in the settlement, and a museum and park were later named in his honor.
State highway maps in 1936 showed a school, St. Martin Cemetery, and a camp at the town site. The population reached 2,364 in 1960. U.S. Highway 90 was built through the area in the 1970s, and by 1990 the population rose to roughly 3,800 persons.

Barrett Station Today

Barrett Station is primarily an African-American community with a rich heritage and known for its dedicated civic participation. Central to the community are area churches and the Barrett Station Civic League. The community is located in eastern Harris County along FM 2100 on the south side of Highway 90. The target area is approximately 12.66 square miles (a Census Data Place) in size with a population of 3,199 persons, according to the 2010 U.S. Census Bureau.

Ref:Wikipedia - Crosby, Texas Demographics
Ref: Diana J. Kleiner, The Handbook of Texas Online, Digital Gateway to Texas History At the University of Austin, 5/12/04

A Texas Historical Marker adds information about Harrison Barrett:

Harrison Barrett

(ca. 1845-1917)

Born into slavery, Harrison Barrett was the son of Simon and Eliza Barrett, who had come to Texas from Louisiana. In addition to Harrison, the couple had two other sons and two daughters.

Following the emancipation of Texas slaves in 1865, Harrison Barrett spent several years gathering his family together. He eventually found all except one sister, and they settled on land east of the San Jacinto River. He purchased this land in 1889 and began a community which would later be known as Barrett's Settlement.

Beginning with seven houses, the community grew to include additional homes, farms, and businesses. Considered the leader of the community, Barrett established a school, church, and cemetery. After a post office substation was opened here in 1947, the area became known as Barrett Station.

Married to the former Annie Jones soon after his emancipation, Barrett was the father of twelve children. His homestead, twice rebuilt by descendants, still stands on its original location. Harrison and Annie Barrett, along with four other family members, are interred in the nearby family cemetery, named Journey's End by descendants in 1985.(1988)

Physical Marker: yes

Century Farm Website: [Web Link]

Farm-fresh Products:
N/A


Additional Years of Recognition: Not listed

Retail Sales to the Public: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Century Farm provide proof of your physical visit - no virtual visits please. Proof can be in the form of an original photo that you have taken of the Century Farm including its marker if it has one, or a description of the farm and of your visit. Any additional information that you can provide about the farm is always welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Century Farms
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.