By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

The Parish Church of All Saints - Sudbury, Ashbourne, Derbyshire, England, UK.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Poole/Freeman
N 52° 53.202 W 001° 46.032
30U E 582948 N 5860378
Quick Description: The Parish Church of All Saints is in the Diocese of Derby, and located on Main Road in Sudbury.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 2/9/2019 8:33:20 AM
Waymark Code: WM101Q7
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
All Saints Church is an Anglican Church in the Diocese of Derby. The church is located adjacent to Sudbury Hall ancestral home of the Vernon family now owned by the National Trust.
The large churchyard surrounds the church.

All Saints Church is a Grade II* listed building that dates from, C12, early C14, early C15, 1827 and extensive restoration 1872-5 by George Devey. A full detailed description by British Listed Buildings can be seen at the following link: (visit link)

There has been a church at Sudbury since before the Domesday survey, although the church as it stands now was rebuilt in the 14th and 15th centuries. The church was later enlarged and restored in the 19th century. The Norman south doorway and a small window in the chapel remain.
The Church was extensively restored by the 6th Lord Vernon's architect, George Devey, in 1873-83. The tower was raised, windows replaced and pews installed. There are fine family monuments in the church, some dating from as early as the 1600s. A church has existed on this site since the Early Middle Ages.

The east window was a gift from Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, as Queen Adelaide had lived at Sudbury Hall.
The church contains numerous memorials and monuments of the Vernon family. One particularly touching one is an oval plaque showing two children who died in 1862- they are shown sleeping, with a few trails of blossom surrounding them.
Source: (visit link)

"The Doomsday Book of 1086 records that there was a church at Sudbury. This was most likely a wooden building, very possibly on the same site as the present building, and could have been of Saxon foundation. This building was thought to have been replaced by a stone building in Norman times. There are traces of Norman style work in the South doorway with its semicircular head and plain mouldings, and also in the small window high up over the door leading to the Vestry, but both these features have been substantially restored, if not completely replaced in later years. There is some evidence of Norman times in the rubble stone work in the Chancel south wall nearest the Nave. The Church is thought to have been rebuilt about 1300 if the appearance of the double chamfered arches on either side of the central aisle are anything to go by. Here the condition of their capitals and nail headed mouldings are suspiciously well preserved, and may well have been the result of later restoration. The same thing may account for the difference in the shape of the pillars on the North and South side of the aisle. About 1400 the pitch of the Nave roof was lowered to accommodate the clerestory windows. Some 200 years later, at about the time of the building of Sudbury Hall, the South porch was built and a balustrade parapet was added to the tower.

The Font is Victorian, and was described in 1877 as "of good workmanship". It replaces an earlier octagonal font, that probably disappeared during the beautifying of the church in 1827.

The Vernon Memorial plaque behind the font is dated 1862 and is dedicated to the three infant children of Augustus Henry Vernon.

The Bell Tower has a peal of six bells rung from floor level every Sunday. No.6 bell has just celebrated its 400th Anniversary and is inscribed "God Save the Queen 1598". But No.5 bell is the heaviest, weighing 1 lcwts.

The Organ Chamber on the north wall was built in the 19th Century to provide accommodation for the school children; the organ was moved into this space from the Vernon Chapel in the restoration of 1875, and is now considered to be one of the finest small organs in Derbyshire.

The Vernon Chapel contains a memorial of John Vernon and his wife Mary Vernon, whose first husband was Walter Vernon of Houndhill, Staffordshire. Her grandson George is regarded as the builder of Sudbury Hall. Also note two recumbent fígures, which were at one time propped against a wall in the churchyard, date from the 13th Century. They are almost certainly ladies from the Montgomery family, who held the manor from after the Norman Conquest until 1513, when Ellen Montgomery married Sir John Vernon, the younger son of Henry.

The Screen, beautifully carved in oak, was erected during the 19th Century restoration, and was dedicated in 1903. At the same time, the reseating of the Church in oak was completed.

The Chancel. The east window was presented to the Church by Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort in 1850, to the memory of George Edward Anson, (brother of the then Rector) who had been private secretary to Prince Albert and Keeper of Her Majesty's Privy Purse. The glass is the work of a German artist.

The reredos is a good example of Alabaster work. It was executed in 1885 to the memory of the 6th Lord Vernon.

The tiles here and in the Sanctuary are Victorian, but have exceptional patterns copied from fragments of old tiles found here in the last century.
The South Aisle, note the Lord's Prayer in black lettering, surrounded by brown scrollwork.
The Panelling was rescued from Sudbury Hall and installed here in 1990. Originally it had been the Vernon Box Pew." SOURCE: (visit link)
(visit link)
(visit link)
(visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.