Category Creation FAQ
The Waymarking directory contains categories that focus on a specific type of location.
Each category is managed by a Group consisting of at least 3 Premium Members that
work together to ensure all the locations submitted to their category adhere to
the category goals. If you are a Premium Member and have an idea for a new category
that does not already exist in the directory, you can form a Group and submit your
category for review by following the steps below.
1. Form a Group
From any page, click the My Groups link in the right column and then click "Create New Group
". Choose a name
for your Group, state your Group’s goals and click Submit.
2. Create a Category
- Invite at least two other Premium Members to join your Group. If you are new to
Waymarking and don't know any other Premium Members
you can find some tips for recruiting here.
- Promote your new Group members to the rank of Officer. Check out this link for more
information on promoting Group members.
3. Peer Review
- Once you have the required number of Officers in your Group, a checklist will automatically
appear on your Group page with a link to the category creation form. Take your time
writing the category details and research your idea fully before you complete the
edits. The Discussion
Forum is a great place for tips on category creation.
- After you have finished editing your category details you can call for an Officer
vote. All officers are required to be in 100% agreement of the category name, description,
and variables so be sure everything is in order before calling the vote. When the
vote is completed and everyone has voted to accept the category, you may then click
the "Send Category to Peer Review" link to initiate the final step.
How many categories can I create?
- Peer Review consists of a queue available to all Premium Members allowing them to
review, vote, and comment on category hopefuls for a period of 3 days. During this
time you will not be able to make changes to your category description, however
you may cancel the vote at any time if you left out something important. To cancel
a vote, click the red X next to step 4 in the checklist on your Group page.
- Small mistakes such as grammar and typos can be fixed after Peer Review if necessary.
Once the voting period has passed, and assuming the community liked your category,
you will receive a congratulatory email and may begin accepting new waymarks immediately!
As a Premium Member you may create an unlimited number of categories.