Show/HideSearch Criteria: All Waymarks [show search options]
Additional Settings: all dates
Show/HideCategories [hide category]
Signs of History
Managed By: Icon Here Sign Historians
Description:
You see them everywhere - on the sides of buildings, at waysides, bolted to rocks - signs that commemorate the history of an area. WARNING: There are already many historic marker categories restricted to geographic areas, particular subjects, or official lists. If the marker you are trying to waymark fits in one of the existing categories, it is NOT allowed here. This category was conceived to fill the gaps these other categories miss. Click on "show additional information" before posting.
Show/HideWaymarks [hide waymarks]
Currently displaying Signs of History

sorted by:

 
Total Records: 3566 Page: 1 of 143 prev<<<[12345678910]>>>next
Image for The Meeting of the Rivers - Kamloops, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryThe Meeting of the Rivers - Kamloops, BC

in Signs of History

Near the centre of Riverside Park, by the beach, is a large boulder with a pair of historical plaques. This, the second of the two, is a large bronze plaque relating the history of the area near the confluence of the North and South Thompson Rivers.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 9/1/2014

last visited: never

Image for Riverside Park - Kamloops, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryRiverside Park - Kamloops, BC

in Signs of History

Riverside Park in Kamloops was begun in 1905, on the former site of a lumber mill and a pig farm. Since its inception it has been the major park in the city, with the greatest number of amenities. It is far and away the most used park in the city.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 9/1/2014

last visited: never

Image for Plaza Hotel - Kamloops, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryPlaza Hotel - Kamloops, BC

in Signs of History

The Plaza Hotel was built in 1927 by the business community of Kamloops in order to attract both tourists and new businesses to the city. It has remained one of the premier hotels in the city from that time.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 9/1/2014

last visited: never

Image for Cenotaph and Memorial Park - Kamloops, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryCenotaph and Memorial Park - Kamloops, BC

in Signs of History

On Battle Street at Second Avenue is a small park which was created as a memorial to World War I soldiers who died in battle. It was dedicated in 1925, containing one of only two cenotaphs in Canada including a clock and a second cairn, as well.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 9/1/2014

last visited: never

Image for Ellis Block - Kamloops, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryEllis Block - Kamloops, BC

in Signs of History

This 1914 brick and stone was the most elegant business block in the city when built. Time has not done much to tarnish its reputation for elegance. It was built by local contractors Johnston & Gill using bricks of their own making.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for The Overlanders Of 1862 - Kamloops, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryThe Overlanders Of 1862 - Kamloops, BC

in Signs of History

This bronze plaque is mounted on the plinth under a statue of the Schubert family, members of the party which first settled the community of Kamloops.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for Kamloops Memorial Arena - Kamloops, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryKamloops Memorial Arena - Kamloops, BC

in Signs of History

Completed in 1949, the Memorial Arena, like those of a great many towns and cities in Canada, was built as a memorial to those soldiers who never returned from war.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for St. Andrew’s on the Square - Kamloops, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistorySt. Andrew’s on the Square - Kamloops, BC

in Signs of History

Standing majestically on the corner of Seymour Street and Second Avenue, St. Andrew's is the oldest public building in Kamloops, having been built in 1887. It was originally built as a Presbyterian Church on land donated by the CPR.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for The Drillers Rock - Princeton, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryThe Drillers Rock - Princeton, BC

in Signs of History

This history lesson teaches us what hardrock miners did 101 years ago to while away their spare time. It is part of the outdoor displays of the Princeton Museum on Vermilion Avenue.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for Union Bank - Vernon, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryUnion Bank - Vernon, BC

in Signs of History

This is the third of three brick and stone banks built in Vernon in the 1890s to 1910s. The Union bank was eventually absorbed by the Royal bank in 1925. The building is now home to the Gallery Vertigo art gallery.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for Town Hall - Osoyoos, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryTown Hall - Osoyoos, BC

in Signs of History

In front of the Osoyoos City Hall and off to the east slightly is this sign relating the history of the town hall of Osoyoos. Part of the hall is actually an old schoolhouse imported from north of town.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for Smith Bros. Bookstore - Vernon, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistorySmith Bros. Bookstore - Vernon, BC

in Signs of History

Though this building was built in 1907 as Smith Bros. Bookstore, the name MacKenzie appears on the frieze. That would be because MacKenzie Men's Wear occupied the building for the greatest length of time - from 1934 until 1998, 64 years.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for E.G. Prior and Company - Vernon, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryE.G. Prior and Company - Vernon, BC

in Signs of History

For an early Twentieth Century building in Vernon, this one was noticeably larger than the norm. Reason - it was built as the warehouse for a farm machinery dealership. It seems to have been a drug store for 101 years now.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for Pound's Taxidermy - Vernon, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryPound's Taxidermy - Vernon, BC

in Signs of History

Probably the oldest building on this block, this wood frame building began life as a taxidermy shop, as the title suggests. Since that time it has housed many businesses, but nothing even remotely related to taxidermy.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for Land and Agricultural Company - Vernon, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryLand and Agricultural Company - Vernon, BC

in Signs of History

This little 103 year old brick-faced concrete block building has had many tenants over the years. It was built by a group of Belgian investors which bought 14,606 acres in the area in 1907, having previously bought 200,000 acres in Saskatchewan.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for Jacques Jewellers - Vernon, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryJacques Jewellers - Vernon, BC

in Signs of History

Members of the Jacques family have operated a jewellery store at this location continuously since it opened in 1894. That's quite a run!

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for Vernon Hardware Company Ltd. - Vernon, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryVernon Hardware Company Ltd. - Vernon, BC

in Signs of History

Built in 1894, this building was long a hardware store. These days it is an Antique Store and a Pawn Shop. Note the anvil, hardware symbolism, above the corner entry.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for Pioneer Cemetery - Kamloops, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryPioneer Cemetery - Kamloops, BC

in Signs of History

Pioneer Cemetery was the first cemetery in Kamloops, with the final burial taking place in 1901. Falling into disuse, it was finally taken over by the city and restored in 1962

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for Nottbeck house - Tallinn, Estoniaview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryNottbeck house - Tallinn, Estonia

in Signs of History

This is an old house not far from the center of Tallinn, with a proper marker on its wall.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Torgut

location: Estonia

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for J.W. Glover Block - Vernon, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryJ.W. Glover Block - Vernon, BC

in Signs of History

Occupying addresses 3312 to 3316 - 30th Avenue, this 1910 building was originally a hardware store. Today it houses many businesses, including a hair studio, a tattoo parlour, a web designer and a credit bureau.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for Bank of Commerce - Vernon, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryBank of Commerce - Vernon, BC

in Signs of History

On the north side of 30th Avenue, between 31st and 32nd Streets one will find this former Canadian Bank of Commerce building. The bank has moved on and it is now the home of the Phoenix Grillhouse & Bar. This sign is affixed to the front façade.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for S & O Railway - Vernon, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryS & O Railway - Vernon, BC

in Signs of History

A large mural dealing with the S & O Railway and its engineer C.E. Perry appears on the north side of the Investors Group Building to the south of the old CNR depot on 29th Street. This sign is affixed to the mural.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for Jim Duddle and Eldon Seymour - Vernon, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryJim Duddle and Eldon Seymour - Vernon, BC

in Signs of History

Vernon is known for the many large murals gracing the walls of the downtown area. This is a large mural which one sees when entering downtown from the south on Highway 97. The sign gives us a bit of the history behind the mural.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for R.E. Berry Drugs - Vernon, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistoryR.E. Berry Drugs - Vernon, BC

in Signs of History

Now a Tattoo parlour and a Greek Restaurant, this 110 year old wood frame building was originally a drug store.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Image for Sacred Heart Cathedral - Kamloops, BCview gallery
Log it!

Signs of HistorySacred Heart Cathedral - Kamloops, BC

in Signs of History

This Cathedral opened as a church in 1925, replacing the wood frame church which had burned down during Ash Wednesday service in 1919. In December of 1945, with the establishment of the Diocese of Kamloops, it was elevated to Cathedral status.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: British Columbia, Canada

date approved: 8/31/2014

last visited: never

Total Records: 3566 Page: 1 of 143 prev<<<[12345678910]>>>next
Premium Member Downloads: download.GPX Lite File       download.LOC File       download .KML File (Google Earth)