There are many memorials dedicated to veterans, units, and military career fields which commemorate their actions throughout their military service. There are also many which commemorate single acts of courage or deeds they did during peacetime. This category is established to list these kinds of memorials which are not war specific.
These memorials come in many forms such as stone structures, plaques, buildings, trees, gardens, parks, walkways, lakes, etc.
These memorials may even list more than one veteran or unit, but the intent of the memorials listed here are to commemorate the people/units and not a particular war(s). A veteran or unit being commemorated for off-duty service may also be listed in this category.
If the memorial you are marking was established mainly to commemorate a listing of people who served in a specific war or campaign, then it should be placed in a different corresponding category. Take a look at the other categories for veterans and wars to be sure of the exact category your waymark should be placed in.
Veteran graves are not intended for this category even though they are a kind of memorial. This category does not include grave memorials.
Examples of memorials to be listed here which are dedicated to:
- a specific veteran and lists his/her achievements during their service.
- a specific veteran and generally honors their service.
- one or two veterans for an act they did not related to a war.
- a specific veteran for the volunteer support they gave to a community.
- one or two military units which lists their achievements during their activated time.
- a peacetime deed or act done by a veteran or unit.
- honoring a specific veteran who deceased due to non war circumstances.
- honoring a specific military career field or MOS.
- honoring a specific military naval vessel (since these are similar to "units" in other branches of the military).
Examples of memorials not to be listed in this category that are dedicated to:
- a listing of veterans that generalizes their service as "For their service", "For those who Serve",etc. These should be placed in the Non-Specific Veteran Memorials category. This includes those memorials placed by specific groups: cities, counties, states, VFW Posts,etc., that have listings of Veterans that are only related to the group and not to a specific unit.
- a specific war(s). Place those in a category listed in the War directory.
- a war memorial that lists veterans who served in a particular war.
- a service member's Vietnam POW/MIA status.
If it is unclear if a memorial you would like to submit should be placed in this category, please email us with a description/pictures of you memorial and any questions you have. Or you can submit the waymark to this category with private notes why you think it should be placed in this category and we will review it.