Show/HideSearch Criteria: All Waymarks [show search options]
Additional Settings: all dates
Show/HideCategories [hide category]
Georgia Historical Markers
 allows ratings
Description:
Seek out a Georgia Historical Marker. Record the coordinates, text, and a picture of the marker.
Show/HideWaymarks [hide waymarks]
Currently displaying Georgia Historical Markers

sorted by:

 
Total Records: 2851 Page: 7 of 115 prev<<<[12345678910]>>>next
Image for Future Farmers of America Log Cabin • c.1935 # 10 - Alpharetta, GA.view gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersFuture Farmers of America Log Cabin • c.1935 # 10 - Alpharetta, GA.

in Georgia Historical Markers

This marker is located at the log cabin, 86 School Drive, Alpharetta, GA, in downtown Alpharetta, GA. It is part of the Alpharetta Walking Tour. There are two markers, one near the street and a second on the front of the cabin.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 6/8/2012

last visited: 6/6/2012

Image for Manning Mercantile • c.1910  # 7 - Alpharetta, GA.view gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersManning Mercantile • c.1910 # 7 - Alpharetta, GA.

in Georgia Historical Markers

This marker for the Manning Mercantile is located at 20 N. Main Street in downtown Alpharetta, GA. It is part of the Alpharetta Walking Tour.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 6/8/2012

last visited: 6/6/2012

Image for William Scarbrough House - GHS 25-35 - Chatham, Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersWilliam Scarbrough House - GHS 25-35 - Chatham, Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

Designed by noted English architect William Jay, this house was built for William Scarbrough, president of the Savannah Steamship Company. Located on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. (West Broad Street) near West Congress Street, Savannah GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/8/2012

last visited: 3/23/2012

Image for Jonathan Bryan (1708 – 1788) - GHS 25-38 - Chatham Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersJonathan Bryan (1708 – 1788) - GHS 25-38 - Chatham Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

Born in Pocotaligo, SC, Jonathan Bryan accompanied James Oglethorpe on his initial visit to Yamacraw Bluff in 1733. The marker is located in Franklin Square in front of The First African Baptist Church, Savannah, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/8/2012

last visited: 3/23/2012

Image for History of Emancipation: Special Field Orders No. 15 - GHS 25-37view gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersHistory of Emancipation: Special Field Orders No. 15 - GHS 25-37

in Georgia Historical Markers

Sherman issued Special Field Orders 15, which encouraged the enlistment of freedmen & reserved coastal land from Charleston S to Florida's St. Johns River for settlement by freed families in 40-acre tracts. In Madison Sq. - Harris & Bull Sts.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/4/2012

last visited: 3/23/2012

Image for Beach Institute - GHS 25-34 - Chatham Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersBeach Institute - GHS 25-34 - Chatham Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

The Beach Institute began in 1867 as the first school in Savannah erected specifically for the education of African Americans. Located at 502 East Harris Street, Savannah, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/2/2012

last visited: 3/23/2012

Image for St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church - GHS  25-30 - Chatham Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersSt. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church - GHS 25-30 - Chatham Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church is the Mother Church of Black Catholics in Georgia. Loacted at the church at 556 East Gordon Street, Savannah, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/2/2012

last visited: 3/23/2012

Image for Johnny Mercer (1909-1976) - GHS 25-26 - Chatham Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersJohnny Mercer (1909-1976) - GHS 25-26 - Chatham Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

World-renowned songwriter John Herndon Mercer was born in Savannah and spent much of his youth in this house at 226 East Gwinnett Street. Marker is located at 226 East Gwinnett St., Savannah, GA

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/2/2012

last visited: 3/23/2012

Image for Cockspur Island Lighthouse - GHS 25-41 - Chatham Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersCockspur Island Lighthouse - GHS 25-41 - Chatham Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

Designed and built in 1848 by renowned architect John S. Norris marks the entrance to the South Channel of these Savanna River, the Cockspur Island Lighthouse is destroyed by a hurricane in 1854. Near the Ft. Pulaski Visitors Center.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/2/2012

last visited: 11/9/2012

Image for Savannah State College - GHM 025-90 - Chatham Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersSavannah State College - GHM 025-90 - Chatham Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

This state college was established in 1891 as the Georgia Industrial College for Colored Youths. Located at intersection of College and Vernon Sts., south of Colson Administration Building, Savannah, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/2/2012

last visited: 3/22/2012

Image for Walter Berhard Hill Hall - GHS 25-8 - Chatham Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersWalter Berhard Hill Hall - GHS 25-8 - Chatham Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

This is the oldest remaining building on the Savannah State University campus. Located on Alexis Circle, Savannah St. University, Savannah, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/2/2012

last visited: 3/22/2012

Image for Henry Ford at Richmond Hill - Bryan Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersHenry Ford at Richmond Hill - Bryan Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

In 1925, Henry Ford began acquiring large tracts of land on both sides at the nearby Ogeechee River. Located at the Richmond Hill City Hall on Cedar St, Richmond Hill, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/2/2012

last visited: 1/25/2014

Image for J.F. Gregory - Bryan Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersJ.F. Gregory - Bryan Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

J.F. Gregory oversaw the activities of the Richmond Hill plantation for Henry Ford. Located at the Richmond Hill Zoning Building on Cedar St, Richmond Hill, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/2/2012

last visited: 4/4/2014

Image for Burnt Church Cemetery - Bryan Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersBurnt Church Cemetery - Bryan Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

The original church accidentally burned in 1882 and a new edifice was built in 1885 several miles east, near Keller. Located at the cemetery on Bryan Neck Rd. (GA 144), Richmond Hill, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/2/2012

last visited: 3/21/2012

Image for Bryan Neck Missionary Baptist Church - Bryan Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersBryan Neck Missionary Baptist Church - Bryan Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

Organized in 1869, this is the oldest African-American church congregation lower Bryan County. Located in front of the church at 16525 Bryan Neck Rd (SR 144), Richmond Hill, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/2/2012

last visited: 3/21/2012

Image for American Grand Prize Races, 1910 and 1911 Vanderbilt Cup Race, 1911 - GHM 025-3 - Chatham Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersAmerican Grand Prize Races, 1910 and 1911 Vanderbilt Cup Race, 1911 - GHM 025-3 - Chatham Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

On each side of Waters Avenue at this site stood the grandstands built for the famous Savannah automobile races in 1910 and 1911. Located on Waters Ave. at East 46th St., Savannah, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/2/2012

last visited: 3/22/2012

Image for Savannah High School - Chatham Co. - Savannah, GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersSavannah High School - Chatham Co. - Savannah, GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

Savannah High School evolved as the senior division of Chatham Academy, chartered by the Georgia Legislature in 1788. Located at 500 Washington Ave., Savannah, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/2/2012

last visited: 3/22/2012

Image for Telfair Hospital for Females - Chatham County, GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersTelfair Hospital for Females - Chatham County, GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

Established by Mary Telfair, this was the first hospital in Georgia dedicated exclusively to the care of women. Located in front of the hospital at 5353 Reynolds Avenue, Savannah, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/2/2012

last visited: 4/3/2012

Image for Candler Hospital - Chatham County, GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersCandler Hospital - Chatham County, GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

Georgia's first hospital, Candler is the second oldest continuously operating hospital in the United States. Located in front of the hospital at 5353 Reynolds Avenue, Savannah, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/2/2012

last visited: 4/4/2012

Image for Fort Argyle - Bryan Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersFort Argyle - Bryan Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

Near here, on the West bank of the Ogeechee River, Fort Argyle was built in 1733, to command one of the main passes by which enemy Indians had recently invaded SC. Located on GA 144 at Ft. Stewart, Richmond Hill, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 4/2/2012

last visited: 4/4/2014

Image for Community House - Bryan Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersCommunity House - Bryan Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

Built by Henry and Clara Ford. The Community House is located at the Carter Funeral Home on Ford Ave (GA 144) in Richmond Hill, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 3/25/2012

last visited: 4/4/2014

Image for Martha ~ Mary Chapel - Bryan Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersMartha ~ Mary Chapel - Bryan Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

Built by Henry Ford and named for his mother and his mother-in-law. Located at the Saint Anne’s Catholic Church on Ford Ave (GA 144) in Richmond Hill, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 3/25/2012

last visited: 3/21/2012

Image for Blue Star Memorial - J.F. Gregory City Park - Richmond Hill, Gview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersBlue Star Memorial - J.F. Gregory City Park - Richmond Hill, G

in Georgia Historical Markers

Located in J.F. Gregory City Park off of Cedar St, Richmond Hill, GA.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 3/25/2012

last visited: 4/4/2014

Image for Fort McAllister The Naval Bombardments - GHM 015-4 - Byran Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersFort McAllister The Naval Bombardments - GHM 015-4 - Byran Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

This is one of 3 State Historic markers located behind the visitor center at the Fort McAllister State park. This was a Civil War fort that guarded the southern river approach to Savannah, GA, and was captured from the land side by Gen. Sherman.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 3/24/2012

last visited: 4/4/2014

Image for Sinking of the CSS 'Nashville (Rattlesnake)' - GHM 015-7 - Byran Co., GAview gallery
Log it!

Georgia Historical MarkersSinking of the CSS 'Nashville (Rattlesnake)' - GHM 015-7 - Byran Co., GA

in Georgia Historical Markers

This is one of 3 State Historic markers located behind the visitor center at the Fort McAllister State park. This was a Civil War fort that guarded the southern river approach to Savannah, GA, and was captured from the land side by Gen. Sherman.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North

location: Georgia

date approved: 3/24/2012

last visited: 4/4/2014

Total Records: 2851 Page: 7 of 115 prev<<<[12345678910]>>>next
Premium Member Downloads: download.GPX Lite File       download.LOC File       download .KML File (Google Earth)