Show/HideSearch Criteria: All Waymarks [show search options]
Additional Settings: all dates
Show/HideCategories [hide category]
South Dakota Historical Markers
 allows ratings
Description:
South Dakota historic markers are our windows to the past. They educate us, they make us curious to investigate, or they provide a nice excuse to take a break and stretch our legs while we read what happened here.

Show/HideWaymarks [hide waymarks]
Currently displaying South Dakota Historical Markers

sorted by:

 
Total Records: 471 Page: 6 of 19 prev<<<[12345678910]>>>next
Image for The Missouri River was HH~ S to FT. Thompson/N to Mobridgeview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersThe Missouri River was HH~ S to FT. Thompson/N to Mobridge

in South Dakota Historical Markers

South to Ft. Thompson SD. North to Oahe and Mobridge.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 5/30/2007

last visited: 5/28/2007

Image for Site of First Library in Pierreview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersSite of First Library in Pierre

in South Dakota Historical Markers

Built in 1904 with a 12,500$ gift from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation, the Library opened its doors on march 10, 1905.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 5/30/2007

last visited: 6/10/2012

Image for The Missouri River was Historic Highway ~ S to Ft. Thompsonview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersThe Missouri River was Historic Highway ~ S to Ft. Thompson

in South Dakota Historical Markers

South to Fort Thompson and Chamberlain.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 5/30/2007

last visited: 7/3/2012

Image for Casey Tibbs ~ World Champion Cowboyview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersCasey Tibbs ~ World Champion Cowboy

in South Dakota Historical Markers

Casey Duane Tibbs was born March 5, 1929, 50 miles northwest of Fort Pierre, South Dakota, in a log cabin on the family homestead on the Cheyenne River to John F. and Florence M. (Leggett) Tibbs.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 5/30/2007

last visited: 5/5/2012

Image for Hughes County Courthouseview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersHughes County Courthouse

in South Dakota Historical Markers

In the moraine which runs along the bank of the Missouri in Hughes County, stone cutters find a good source of many kinds of fine granite useful for tombstones and building materials. The stones of the County Courthouse in Pierre were cut from the boulder found in this great moraine.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 5/30/2007

last visited: 6/10/2012

Image for John Charles Waldronview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersJohn Charles Waldron

in South Dakota Historical Markers

(24 August 1900 – 4 June 1942) was a United States Navy aviator who led a squadron of torpedo bombers in World War II.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: none listed yet

date approved: 5/29/2007

last visited: 10/13/2012

Image for Pierre was a Cowtownview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersPierre was a Cowtown

in South Dakota Historical Markers

Pierre was a cowtown.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 5/29/2007

last visited: 12/2/2012

Image for Reading Brandsview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersReading Brands

in South Dakota Historical Markers

For many new livestock owners, the art of reading a brand is a mystery . Brands, to the inexperienced, resemble hieroglyphics; to the experienced livestock person, however, they become a readable language.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 5/29/2007

last visited: 5/21/2012

Image for Chargers Camps ~Cheyenne Agency 1891 - 1959view gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersChargers Camps ~Cheyenne Agency 1891 - 1959

in South Dakota Historical Markers

The new location chosen for our Agency "town" was the site of Chief Martin Charger's permanent campsite located at a point midway between the Cheyenne and Moreau rivers on the west bank of the Missouri river.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 5/29/2007

last visited: 6/16/2013

Image for The Oahe Dam and Lakeview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersThe Oahe Dam and Lake

in South Dakota Historical Markers

This huge structure and its lake, which are 200 miles long, will cover a multitude of Historic Sites.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 5/29/2007

last visited: 5/28/2007

Image for Yankton Trail Bridgeview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersYankton Trail Bridge

in South Dakota Historical Markers

This site has been an important Big Sioux River crossing for more than 300 years.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 5/25/2007

last visited: 8/12/2013

Image for Chamberlain ~1880~view gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersChamberlain ~1880~

in South Dakota Historical Markers

Named for Selah Chamberlain, a Milwaukee RR official, the site was the scene of an encounter between Jean Baptiste Trudeau and the Teton Sioux in 1794 and when Samuel H Morrow surveyed the area, in 1868 he found a ranch on American Creek.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 5/6/2007

last visited: 5/6/2007

Image for Historic Highway ~Chamberlain~view gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersHistoric Highway ~Chamberlain~

in South Dakota Historical Markers

East on US 18 to W to SD 47 on US 18

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 5/6/2007

last visited: 5/6/2007

Image for Lake Hendricks Norwegian Colony of 1873view gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersLake Hendricks Norwegian Colony of 1873

in South Dakota Historical Markers

The first settlers at lake Hendricks were 31 Norwegians, arriving July 14, 1873 with 11 covered wagons and 30 cattle.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 4/17/2007

last visited: 10/10/2008

Image for Brookings Countyview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersBrookings County

in South Dakota Historical Markers

The History of Brookings County began with the Act which authorized its first boundaries approved on April 5th 1862.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 4/17/2007

last visited: 4/17/2007

Image for Lake Hendricks State Parkview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersLake Hendricks State Park

in South Dakota Historical Markers

This lake was named for Thomas A Hendricks, commissioner of the General land Office, 1855 - 59, at which time the state boundary was serveyed and the lake named.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 4/17/2007

last visited: 10/10/2008

Image for Brookings County2view gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersBrookings County2

in South Dakota Historical Markers

The History of Brookings County began with the Act which authorized its first boundaries approved on April 5th 1862.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 4/17/2007

last visited: 10/10/2008

Image for You are entering South Dakota (2)view gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersYou are entering South Dakota (2)

in South Dakota Historical Markers

Welcome to South Dakota! Created with its twin North Dakota, 2 November 1889, its 77,047 square miles ranks 15th in size.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 4/16/2007

last visited: 7/20/2012

Image for You are entering Roberts County South Dakota 4view gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersYou are entering Roberts County South Dakota 4

in South Dakota Historical Markers

Long the home of Sisseton, Wahpeton & Cuthead Yanktonaise Sioux, it became part of Deuel & Cheyenne Counties in 1862.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 4/16/2007

last visited: 8/20/2013

Image for You are now leaving South Dakotaview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersYou are now leaving South Dakota

in South Dakota Historical Markers

You are now leaving South Dakota

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 4/16/2007

last visited: 7/20/2012

Image for You are about to enter Richland County NDview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersYou are about to enter Richland County ND

in South Dakota Historical Markers

The southerly most 4 miles of Richland County

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 4/16/2007

last visited: 7/20/2012

Image for Flandreau Indian High Schoolview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersFlandreau Indian High School

in South Dakota Historical Markers

Flandreau Indian Vocational High School had its origin in a mission school established, by P. A. Van Nice in 1872 to provide for the education of Dakota Indians.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 4/9/2007

last visited: 2/18/2012

Image for Brown Earth Indian Church view gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersBrown Earth Indian Church

in South Dakota Historical Markers

A roadside plaque commemorating the first church in Grant County. The plaque is located along Highway 20 at 472 Ave; the Church and cemetery are located 1 mile north on 472 Ave and 1/2 mile west on a gravel road at N 45 07.329 W 96 46.319.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member farmkid

location: South Dakota

date approved: 3/14/2007

last visited: 5/17/2006

Image for Department of Veterans Affairsview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersDepartment of Veterans Affairs

in South Dakota Historical Markers

After an influenza outbreak struck the Sioux Falls Army Air Force Base during WWII, the War Dept. purchase the vacant buildings of the Columbus College campus to use for a hospital.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 3/11/2007

last visited: 10/29/2011

Image for AAUW Sioux Falls Branchview gallery
Log it!

South Dakota Historical MarkersAAUW Sioux Falls Branch

in South Dakota Historical Markers

On chilly January l4, l882, a total of 65 women attended a meeting held at Chauncy Hall in Boston to organize "an association of women college graduates with headquarters in Boston.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers

location: South Dakota

date approved: 3/11/2007

last visited: 11/9/2010

Total Records: 471 Page: 6 of 19 prev<<<[12345678910]>>>next
Premium Member Downloads: download.GPX Lite File       download.LOC File       download .KML File (Google Earth)