Show/HideSearch Criteria: All Waymarks [show search options]
Additional Settings: all dates
Show/HideCategories [hide category]
Montana Historical Markers
 allows ratings
Managed By: Icon Here Montana Historians
Description:
Distinct red wood signs and Interpretive signs containing historical information found along the highways throughout Montana.
Show/HideWaymarks [hide waymarks]
Currently displaying Montana Historical Markers

sorted by:

 
Total Records: 386 Page: 2 of 16 prev<<<[12345678910]>>>next
Image for Washoe Brewery - Anaconda, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersWashoe Brewery - Anaconda, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

Built in 1905, this one time brewery with apparent skullduggery in its past is the landmark building on East Park Avenue. All brick, it was built with copious amounts of artistic brickwork, very much typical of the era.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for St. Paul's Convent - Anaconda, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersSt. Paul's Convent - Anaconda, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

In 1923 construction on St. Paul’s Parochial School was commenced with this convent being built simultaneously. It housed the Ursuline Sisters, who were in charge of the school until the end of World War II, when the Benedictine Sisters took over.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for Conley Residence - Anaconda, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersConley Residence - Anaconda, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

Built in 1899, this stately Queen Anne home was the handiwork of a carpenter, Daniel Conley, who also plied his trade for "The Company". We don't know whether the plans were of his design, but the result is quite attractive, in any event.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for Fred Clark Residence - Anaconda, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersFred Clark Residence - Anaconda, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

Librarians are, apparently, well remunerated. This elegant mansion was built for the librarian of the Hearst Free Library(qv), Fred Clark, in 1894. This is one of the landmark homes in the West Side Historic District.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for Fuller Drug Company - Anaconda, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersFuller Drug Company - Anaconda, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

Though it retains the "Fuller Drug" concrete nameplate, this building was originally a restaurant and rooming house and lived most of its life as the Highland Theatre, screening movies from 1:00 to 11:00 PM every day.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for Granite County Courthouse - Philipsburg, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersGranite County Courthouse - Philipsburg, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

Constructed of brick and Montana granite in 1913, the Granite County Courthouse was designed by architects Haire & Link and Co. of Helena. It stands above downtown Philipsburg, overlooking the town.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for First Presbyterian Church - Philipsburg, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersFirst Presbyterian Church - Philipsburg, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

This 1893 church was the place of worship for the Presbyterians of Philipsburg for 97 years until union with the Methodists. No longer used for services, the old church is now the Antique Inn but the building retains its striking bell tower.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for 123 East Broadway - Philipsburg, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical Markers123 East Broadway - Philipsburg, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

This building, constructed in 1910, is one of many buildings that went up in the boom years of the 1910s. For many years beginning in 1941 the home of the Philipsburg Mail newspaper, it is now home to a great candy store, The Sweet Palace.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for Courtney Hotel - Philipsburg, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersCourtney Hotel - Philipsburg, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

One of the early auto dealerships in Philipsburg, selling Overland cars, occupied this building, which was built in 1918. At the same time it was a hotel, offices and a garage. Now it is a museum, information centre and community centre. Eclectic!

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for C.T. Huffman Grocery - Philipsburg, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersC.T. Huffman Grocery - Philipsburg, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

Apparently not built by C.T. Huffman, he moved into half of the building three years after its completion, in 1890. With brother A.S. they expanded into the other half. The grocery store remained in business until...

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for Kaiser House - Philipsburg, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersKaiser House - Philipsburg, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

One of the earliest masonry structures built in Philipsburg, the Kaiser House was the finest hotel in town, with a fine bar, billiard room, and 50 cent T-bone steaks. Though no longer a hotel, it remains an elegant fixture on Broadway Street.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for Masonic Temple - Philipsburg, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersMasonic Temple - Philipsburg, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

Though the Masons of Flint Creek Lodge #11 had met as early as 1867, they apparently had no lodge building of their own until this one was built in 1911. This 147 year old (as of 2014) lodge still meets on the upper floor of the temple.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for McDonald Opera House - Philipsburg, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersMcDonald Opera House - Philipsburg, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

This is a vintage theatre that has hosted both live stage performances and movies. Opened in 1891, it is today the oldest operating theatre in the state of Montana.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for Morse Hall - Philipsburg, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersMorse Hall - Philipsburg, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

Built by a Colonel, this 127 year old building has had a seriously eclectic collection of personas, including: lecture hall, court house, opera house, town hall, library, community center, dance hall and basketball court.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for Sayr's Building - Philipsburg, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersSayr's Building - Philipsburg, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

For the initial five years of its life a bank, the silver crash of 1893 changed that and it has since been a range of other things, but never again a bank.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for St. Andrew's Episcopal Church - Philipsburg, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersSt. Andrew's Episcopal Church - Philipsburg, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

A simple wood frame church, this was one of the first churches completed and open for services in Philipsburg. Small and unassuming, this church has continued in use as an Episcopal church until today, 125 years and counting.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church - Philipsburg, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersSt. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church - Philipsburg, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

Laid in 1887, St. Paul’s Methodist Episcopal's cornerstone was about the first to be laid in Philipsburg, though it wasn't the first church to hold services. Now, as a United Presbyterian church, the building continues in use, 127 years later.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for Walker Commercial Company - Philipsburg, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersWalker Commercial Company - Philipsburg, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

For most of its life this building has been a hardware store, though under three different ownerships. Recently it has experienced a rather abrupt change, becoming a candy store. And a great candy store it is!

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for Weinstein Building - Philipsburg, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersWeinstein Building - Philipsburg, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

One of the earliest buildings to be constructed in Philipsburg, this building was built by its first merchant, William Weinstein. Begun as early as the 1870s, the final part of the building was added in about 1887.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for Wilson Brothers Building - Philipsburg, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersWilson Brothers Building - Philipsburg, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

Completed in 1888, this building, like many on Broadway in Philipsburg, has been essentially completely renovated to return its façade to its 1888 appearance. The interior retains much of its original appointments and decorative touches.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for Montana's Statesman - U of M - Missoula, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersMontana's Statesman - U of M - Missoula, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

This plaques is mounted in front of the Mansfield Library, named for Maureen and Mike Mansfield.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for First Architect - U of M - Missoula, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersFirst Architect - U of M - Missoula, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

This plaque is mounted outside Central Hall, the first building to go up on the U of M campus. It relates the story of the acrhitect who designed the original five buildings here,

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for The Grand Griz - U of M - Missoula, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersThe Grand Griz - U of M - Missoula, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

This sign, just west of the bear in question, tells us of the large bronze grizzly placed at the west edge of The Oval, the centre of the campus. He has greeted students, faculty and visitors to the campus since his birth in 1969.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for Joseph Dixon Residence - Missoula, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersJoseph Dixon Residence - Missoula, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

This impressive Neo-classical building was the home of Caroline Worden, daughter of Missoula founder Frank Worden, and Joseph Dixon, Governor of Montana from 1921 to 1925 and later Assistant Secretary of the Interior from 1929 to 1933.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Image for Woman's Club Art Building - U of M - Missoula, MTview gallery
Log it!

Montana Historical MarkersWoman's Club Art Building - U of M - Missoula, MT

in Montana Historical Markers

There were five buildings built on the U of M campus in the years 1935 to 1939. Two of the five were built in the Art Deco Style while the other two followed the Renaissance Revival style already extant. This is one of the two art deco buildings.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Montana

date approved: 12/3/2014

last visited: never

Total Records: 386 Page: 2 of 16 prev<<<[12345678910]>>>next
Premium Member Downloads: download.GPX Lite File       download.LOC File       download .KML File (Google Earth)