Show/HideSearch Criteria: All Waymarks [show search options]
Additional Settings: all dates
Show/HideCategories [hide category]
Blue Plaques
 allows ratings
Managed By: Icon Here Blue Plaques Group
Description:
A "blue plaque" is a sign attached to a house where (maybe) someone famous once lived, or placed where a notable event took place, or attached to a building that is remarkable in another way.

Note: Please see additional updates below for some minor adjustment to the Requirements for this Category made on 12/27/2008.
Show/HideWaymarks [hide waymarks]
Currently displaying Blue Plaques

sorted by:

 
Total Records: 2183 Page: 8 of 88 prev<<<[12345678910]>>>next
Image for Former Essex Cricket Ground - High Road Leyton, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesFormer Essex Cricket Ground - High Road Leyton, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

The highest opening partnership in First Class County Cricket, in England, was scored at this ground by the Yorkshire openers, Sutcliffe and Holmes, in 1932. The blue plaque, attached to the pavilion makes mention of this.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 10/4/2015

last visited: never

Image for Essex Cricket Pavilion - High Road Leyton, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesEssex Cricket Pavilion - High Road Leyton, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

This Waltham Forest Heritage blue plaque is attached to the front of the cricket pavilion in, what is now, Leyton Cricket Ground but was once the home of Essex CCC. The wooden pavilion was built in 1886.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 10/4/2015

last visited: never

Image for Walthamstow Fire-Engine House - Vestry Road, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesWalthamstow Fire-Engine House - Vestry Road, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

This Waltham Forest blue plaque is mounted above, what would appear to be, a garage door... which it probably is today. Reading the plaque advises that this was the home of the Walthamstow parish fire-engine.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 10/3/2015

last visited: never

Image for The Old Watch House - Vestry Road, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesThe Old Watch House - Vestry Road, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

This Borough of Walthamstow blue plaque signifies that "the old watch house" stod here from 1765 to 1912. The plaque is on the west side of Vestry Road attached to what is now the Vestry House Museum.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 10/3/2015

last visited: never

Image for National Spiritualist Church - Church End, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesNational Spiritualist Church - Church End, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

This Waltham Forest Heritage blue plaque is attached to a building on the east side of Church End in Walthamstow. The building is now home to the National Spiritualist Church but started life as St Mary's School in 1819.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 10/3/2015

last visited: never

Image for Church Common - Vestry Road, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesChurch Common - Vestry Road, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

This Borough of Walthamstow blue plaque is attached to a building on the south east side of Vestry Road in Walthamstow. The plaque advises that "the playground opposite was part of Bury Field or Church Common".

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 10/3/2015

last visited: never

Image for Glebe House Campus St. Mary's University - Halifax, NSview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesGlebe House Campus St. Mary's University - Halifax, NS

in Blue Plaques

This Red "Blue Plaque" commemorates a building which no longer exists, a new priests' residence, or "Glebe House" having been built on the location in 1888-1891.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Nova Scotia, Canada

date approved: 10/2/2015

last visited: 10/28/2015

Image for In Remembrance - Hoe Street, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesIn Remembrance - Hoe Street, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

This Waltham Forest Heritage blue plaque is "In Remembrance" of the 22 people who lost their lives and the 144 other injuries caused by a V1 flying bomb on 16th August 1944.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 10/2/2015

last visited: never

Image for Leyton Town Hall - High Road Leyton, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesLeyton Town Hall - High Road Leyton, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

This blue plaque, erected by Waltham Forest Heritage, indicates that this building was Leyton Town Hall. The building is located on the south west side of High Road Leyton at the junction with Adelaide Road.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 10/1/2015

last visited: never

Image for Laurie Cunningham - Brisbane Road, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesLaurie Cunningham - Brisbane Road, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

This Nubian Jak Community Trust blue plaque indicates that the footballer, Laurie Cunningham, played for Leyton Orient from 1974 to 1977. Tragically, he died in a car crash in Spain when just 33 years of age.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 9/30/2015

last visited: never

Image for Leyton Orient FC - Oliver Road, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesLeyton Orient FC - Oliver Road, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

This Waltham Forest Heritage blue plaque is attached to the Oliver Road stand of Leyton Orient FC. The plaque tells of the club's beginnings and various names used.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 9/30/2015

last visited: never

Image for St Mary's Church - Church Road, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesSt Mary's Church - Church Road, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

This Waltham Forest Heritage blue plaque is mounted on St Mary's the parish church of Leyton. The church is located on the north west side of Church Road with the plaque being close to the door on the south east face of the building.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 9/29/2015

last visited: never

Image for Cardinal Wiseman - Church Road, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesCardinal Wiseman - Church Road, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

This black plaque, to Cardinal Wiseman, is housed in a purpose-made stone mount atop a wall along the boundary of Etloe House in Leyton, east London. It is to be found on the south west side of Church Road and advises the Cardinal "lived here".

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 9/29/2015

last visited: never

Image for Garrick Theatre - Charing Cross Road, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesGarrick Theatre - Charing Cross Road, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

The Garrick is a 100+ year old theatre in Charing Cross Road. This plaque is located on the front of the building.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 9/27/2015

last visited: never

Image for The Harbour Explosion - Halifax, NSview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesThe Harbour Explosion - Halifax, NS

in Blue Plaques

Partly as a Millennium Project, the Halifax Regional Municipality has sprinkled two dozen blue plaques throughout the Municipality recognizing historical achievements of the HRM.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Nova Scotia, Canada

date approved: 9/22/2015

last visited: never

Image for "Old" Dalhousie and the Grand Parade - Halifax, NSview gallery
Log it!

Blue Plaques"Old" Dalhousie and the Grand Parade - Halifax, NS

in Blue Plaques

Partly as a Millennium Project, the Halifax Regional Municipality has sprinkled two dozen blue plaques throughout the Municipality recognizing historical achievements of the HRM.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Nova Scotia, Canada

date approved: 9/22/2015

last visited: 10/28/2015

Image for The London Coliseum - St Martin's Lane, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesThe London Coliseum - St Martin's Lane, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

Located in St Martin's Lane, the London Coliseum is the largest theatre in London and is home to the English National Opera. It was designed by Frank Matcham and opened in 1904 and the plaque is attached to the front of the theatre.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 9/21/2015

last visited: never

Image for St Mary's Church conservation program, Maryborough, Qld, Australiaview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesSt Mary's Church conservation program, Maryborough, Qld, Australia

in Blue Plaques

Completed in 1872, the St Mary's Church in Maryborough has gone through several extensions, and in the 1970s-90s went through further preservation, reconstruction, addition, and conservation works.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Grahame Cookie

location: Queensland, Australia

date approved: 9/20/2015

last visited: never

Image for George Lansbury - East India Dock Road, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesGeorge Lansbury - East India Dock Road, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

This red plaque, erected by Tower Hamlets Environment Trust, is attached to a building on the north side of East India Dock Road in London. The plaque indicates that George Lansbury led his rates march near this place in 1921.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 9/19/2015

last visited: never

Image for 400 Old Ford Road - Old Ford Road, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue Plaques400 Old Ford Road - Old Ford Road, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

This Bow Heritage Trail blue plaque is attached to the south west facing wall of the Lord Morpeth public house on the south east side of Old Ford Road. It marks the site of number 400 that was a building used by the East London Suffragettes.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 9/12/2015

last visited: never

Image for Gunmakers Arms Public House - Old Ford Road, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesGunmakers Arms Public House - Old Ford Road, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

This Bow Heritage Trail blue plaque is attached to a block of flats on the south east side of Old Ford Road in east London. The plaque indicates the site of the "Gunmakers Arms" public house that was taken over in 1915 for ause as a day nursery.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 9/12/2015

last visited: never

Image for Chisenhale Gallery - Chisenhale Road, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesChisenhale Gallery - Chisenhale Road, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

This Bow Heritage Trail blue plaque is attached to the south east face of the Chisenhale Gallery in Chisenhale Road in east London. Before becoming a gallery, the building was used as a veneer factory and created Spitfire propellers during WWII.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 9/12/2015

last visited: never

Image for Vernon Hall - Roman Road, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesVernon Hall - Roman Road, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

Vernon Hall was built as the Bow Library with most of the cost paid by the Vitorian philanthropist Passmore Edwards. It stands on the south east side of Roman Road and is graced with two blue plaques.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 9/11/2015

last visited: never

Image for Fairfield Works - Fairfield Road, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesFairfield Works - Fairfield Road, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

The Fairfield Works was the site of Bryant & Mays match factory that was the centre of the 1888 match girls strike. Match production ceased in 1979 and the buildings have since been converted to living accommodation.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 9/11/2015

last visited: never

Image for Mrs Coborn's Charity School - Fairfield Road, London, UKview gallery
Log it!

Blue PlaquesMrs Coborn's Charity School - Fairfield Road, London, UK

in Blue Plaques

This blue plaque, that advises that "Mrs Coborn's Charity School was located on this site", is attached to a block of flats on the north east side of Fairfield Road. The flats are set back from the road but the plaque is visible through the railings.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner

location: London, United Kingdom

date approved: 9/11/2015

last visited: never

Total Records: 2183 Page: 8 of 88 prev<<<[12345678910]>>>next
Premium Member Downloads: download.GPX Lite File       download.LOC File       download .KML File (Google Earth)