Show/HideSearch Criteria: All Waymarks [show search options]
Additional Settings: all dates
Show/HideCategories [hide category]
Show/HideWaymarks [hide waymarks]
Currently displaying Canada

sorted by:

 
Total Records: 3701 Page: 8 of 149 prev<<<[12345678910]>>>next
Image for Greenhill Hotel - Blairmore, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersGreenhill Hotel - Blairmore, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

Another building by West Canadian Collieries, the hotel was opened in 1922, but was leased and never operated by the company. Like the town of Blairmore, this hotel is a survivor, still open for business today.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/13/2015

last visited: never

Image for JE Upton Block - Blairmore, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersJE Upton Block - Blairmore, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

Also known as the Greenhill Grill, this building is essentially a carbon copy of the West Canadian Collieries office just down 20th Avenue, as it was built by them. It got its names from the original two tenants, the Greenhill Grill and J.E. Upton.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/13/2015

last visited: never

Image for Blairmore Opera House - Blairmore, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersBlairmore Opera House - Blairmore, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

From 1910 to 1980 the building on this site was successively the largest opera house in the Crowsnest, a Knights of Columbus Hall then an Elks Hall. In 1980 that building was town down and replaced with this more modern and more functional structure.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/13/2015

last visited: never

Image for Ede Building - Blairmore, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersEde Building - Blairmore, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

Situated in a typically fire prone town, this building went up after the 1906 fire but was damaged by the 1912 fire that began in the Cosmopolitan Hotel to the west. This is another building that has hosted an eclectic mix of retail outlets.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/13/2015

last visited: never

Image for Blairmore Courthouse - Blairmore, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersBlairmore Courthouse - Blairmore, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

Once a courthouse always a courthouse doesn't hold true for Blairmore's Courthouse. Built as much a jail and police detachment as a courthouse, it has since been abandoned in favour of newer digs and today is part of a technological school campus.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/13/2015

last visited: never

Image for St. Luke's Anglican Church - Blairmore, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersSt. Luke's Anglican Church - Blairmore, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

Now a "blended" church, St. Luke's, whose sanctuary was built in 1903 as a Royal North West Mounted Police post, is now known as Grace Church, an Anglican and United Church which serves both congregations.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/13/2015

last visited: never

Image for West Canadian Collieries Office - Blairmore, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersWest Canadian Collieries Office - Blairmore, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

West Canadian Collieries was the company which Blairmore has to thank for its existence. It was they who opened their first coal mine near Bellevue in 1903, operating it until the 1960s, yet chose Blairmore as the site for their headquarters.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/13/2015

last visited: never

Image for Rex Cafe - Blairmore, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersRex Cafe - Blairmore, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

Fire has played a large role in this block, with two major ones, first in 1906, then in 1919, ultimately causing the third building constructed on the site to be a fireproof one built of brick.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/13/2015

last visited: never

Image for Brisco Building - Blairmore, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersBrisco Building - Blairmore, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

On this site there have been a whole townful of businesses and attractions - opera house, men's wear store, residential apartment, dry goods and tailor shop, bowling alley, Chinese restaurant and even a newspaper. Today it again houses a café.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/13/2015

last visited: never

Image for Union Bank - Blairmore, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersUnion Bank - Blairmore, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

This substantial brick bank building, not terribly large, two storeys in height, rectangular in plan and having tasteful and somewhat muted decorative touches on the façade is, like many early small town banks, fairly easy to identify as such.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/13/2015

last visited: never

Image for P. Burns and Co. - Blairmore, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersP. Burns and Co. - Blairmore, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

Another small town in the Crowsnest, and another Burns Meat Market. We shouldn't be surprised, as Pat Burns built over 100 of them in small towns in western Canada; he even supplied meat to the Klondike.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/13/2015

last visited: never

Image for Crowsnest Pass Polish Hall - Coleman, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersCrowsnest Pass Polish Hall - Coleman, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

Across the railroad tracks south of the main part of Coleman, the Polish Hall was built in 1927 for the then substantial Polish population of the Crowsnest area by the Polish Society of Brotherly Aid.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/13/2015

last visited: never

Image for Andrew Povinch Building - Coleman, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersAndrew Povinch Building - Coleman, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

One of the later commercial buildings to be erected in Coleman's commercial section, this early '20s building housed a general store for much of its life.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/10/2015

last visited: never

Image for Red and White Store - Coleman, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersRed and White Store - Coleman, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

General Store, post office, Knights of Pythias Hall, meat and grocery store and clothing store - at one time or another this building served a wide variety of needs in the town.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/10/2015

last visited: never

Image for Salvation Army Hall - Coleman, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersSalvation Army Hall - Coleman, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

The first building on this site was a wood frame building, built about 1904 and replaced by this one, constructed of hollow clay block in the mid '20s. We can't help but wonder if that choice of materials had an incendiary cause.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/10/2015

last visited: never

Image for Roxy Theatre - Coleman, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersRoxy Theatre - Coleman, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

Had it not been for Coleman's worst fire, which took out six buildings in 1948, we would not have a Roxy Theatre. No longer open, the theatre appears as though it could have been closed for several years now.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/10/2015

last visited: never

Image for Holy Ghost Roman Catholic Church - Coleman, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersHoly Ghost Roman Catholic Church - Coleman, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

Built in the spring of 1906, this church was consecrated on June 24 of that year. The Belgian-made cast iron bell named 'Marie was blessed by Father Lacombe at the same time. The church was named 'Holy Ghost' after a church in Winnipeg.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/10/2015

last visited: never

Image for Zak's Meat Market - Coleman, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersZak's Meat Market - Coleman, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

A meat market for the majority of its life, this building was erected in Coleman in 1910 by Alberta Beef Baron Pat Burns. It is one of dozens built by Burns across western Canada in its pioneer years.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/10/2015

last visited: never

Image for Alberta Provincial Police Barracks - Coleman, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersAlberta Provincial Police Barracks - Coleman, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

This little hip roofed wood frame building was, at one time, the barracks for the Alberta Provincial Police Detachment in Coleman.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/10/2015

last visited: never

Image for Motordrome - Coleman, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersMotordrome - Coleman, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

Originally a theatre presenting movies, live theatre, concerts and even sporting events, this building was remodelled into a service station and car dealership. Unfortunately, it has lost both of its façades, the theatre's and the service station's.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/10/2015

last visited: never

Image for Morrison Block - Coleman, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersMorrison Block - Coleman, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

By 1912, just 9 years after Coleman came into being, they were already rebuilding the downtown area, when this building replaced three older wood buildings. First a theatre screening silent films, it later became a car dealership and gas station.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/10/2015

last visited: never

Image for Coleman Mercantile Store - Coleman, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersColeman Mercantile Store - Coleman, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

The first major retail outlet in Coleman, the Mercantile Store was something akin to a turn of the century "Real Crowsnest Superstore", selling everything from groceries to clothes, furniture & appliances - even cattle feed.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/10/2015

last visited: never

Image for McBurney Drug Store - Coleman, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersMcBurney Drug Store - Coleman, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

Built prior to 1910, this building was at one time the Coleman Post Office. In 1913, after renovations, it became a drug store, which it remained for at least 60 years.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/10/2015

last visited: never

Image for Coleman Legion - Coleman, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersColeman Legion - Coleman, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

Though this building was first built as a commercial building in 1923, it was bought by the Coleman Legion in 1939 and extended, essentially doubling it in size, in 1986. This was Alberta's FIRST Legion, chartered October 6, 1926.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/10/2015

last visited: never

Image for Coleman Journal - Coleman, ABview gallery
Log it!

Alberta Heritage MarkersColeman Journal - Coleman, AB

in Alberta Heritage Markers

For 51 years, from 1921 to 1972, this small building was the source of news in the town of Coleman. Oddly, this was an anti-labour newspaper, a rarity in small towns in its time - UNLESS they were financed by big business, which happened on occasion.

posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters

location: Alberta, Canada

date approved: 8/10/2015

last visited: never

Total Records: 3701 Page: 8 of 149 prev<<<[12345678910]>>>next
Premium Member Downloads: download.GPX Lite File       download.LOC File       download .KML File (Google Earth)